My new G0463 Mill arrived and won't run.

Harv

Former Member
My new G0463 arrived yesterday and I set it in my shop still on the pallet. Today I stripped the box off of it and started to clean it up and run it. The machine would not turn on so I got Grizzly Tech. support on the phone and after taking a few reading with a multi-meter the Tech and I came to the conclusion that the main board is toast. I was able to get the thing running for about 3 seconds but other then that nothing. So now I am supposed to wait until Monday to recieve a phone call letting me know if they will send me a new $700.00 circuit board and if so what I will be required to do with the board that arrived with my machine. Or maybe they might tell me to ship it back, I won't know until Monday.

S&!t happens, electronics will fail at the onset or last for a long time. Here is where buying from a reputable seller pays off.

[SIZE=+2]Warranty[/SIZE]​
Grizzly warrants every product it sells for a period of 1 year to the original purchaser from the date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to defects due directly or indirectly to misuse, abuse, negligence, accidents, repairs, alterations or lack of maintenance. This is Grizzly's sole written warranty and any and all warranties that may be implied by law, including any merchantability or fitness, for any particular purpose, are hereby limited to the duration of this written warranty. We do not warrant or represent that the merchandise complies with the provisions of any law or acts unless the manufacturer so warrants. In no event shall Grizzly's liability under this warranty exceed the purchase price paid for the product and legal actions brought against Grizzly shall be tried in the State of Washington, County of Whatcom.
We shall in no event be liable for death, injuries to persons or property or for incidental, contingent, special or consequential damages arising from the use of our products.
To take advantage of this warranty please call our customer service department at 1-800-523-4777. Proof of purchase must accompany the merchandise. The manufacturers reserve the right to change specifications at any time because they constantly strive to achieve better quality equipment.
We make every effort to ensure that the products in this catalog meet high quality and durability standards and we hope you never need to use this warranty.

So, if you have not "misuse, abuse, negligence, accidents, repairs, alterations or lack of maintenance" they should fix it.

Caster

Well, I guess a positive side was if it was going to break it's better it broke right away rather than a few months in or just after the warranty expired.

A few months in they could try and make the argument it was abused/misused and just after the warranty, well......:(

Well, I guess a positive side was if it was going to break it's better it broke right away rather than a few months in or just after the warranty expired.

A few months in they could try and make the argument it was abused/misused and just after the warranty, well......:(

In my personal experiences with Griz I have not found your scenario to be the case. They even once sent me a part for a machine that was just a couple of months out of warranty. No questions asked.

In my personal experiences with Griz I have not found your scenario to be the case. They even once sent me a part for a machine that was just a couple of months out of warranty. No questions asked.

I'm not saying they're a bad company in any way shape or form, just that something knackered right out of the box removes all doubt as to whether its the item at fault or the user.

:)

Good point. Kinda hard to blame the operator when it's dead on arrival. :)

I spoke with Grizzly's Customer Service this past Monday afternoon as I had not heard from them since Thursday. They told me that it takes them 24-48 hours to make a decision to fix the type of problem I was having. I asked the lady on the phone to please find someone that could make a decision and she put me on hold for about 10 minutes. When she came back she told me that I had two options.

The first was to send them another $700.00 for a replacement circuit board and emergency shutoff switch. I told them that was an absolute no. The second option was to remove the circuit-board and return it to them and they would send me a replacement board.

I told the lady that I had paid for a working machine and that's exactly what I wanted or that I wanted a refund. After another 10 minutes or so on hold she said that they would cheerfully send me another machine. It would take 24-48 hours for me to receive a shipping confirmation from Fed-Ex and I was to box up the non-working machine and return it via Fed-Ex at Grizzly's expense. She also put in a hold order for another Mill for me. I received the e-mail conformation a few hours ago and I will phone Fed-Ex tomorrow morning.

The Customer Service Lady also told me that as soon as I can arrange for Fed-Ex to make the pick-up that I can call Grizzly and that they will send my new machine out as soon as they can confirm that the first machine has been picked up. While I am not real happy about how this has went I feel that their response to my situation was good and I appreciate the fact that I seem to have nothing to worry about. I have put on hold the jobs that I have stacked up waiting for the new machine and I have discovered that waiting another week or two to get started is not killing me.

Last edited:
Glad they're sending you a new mill. Other than the hold time it doesn't sound like it was too bad of an ordeal.

My G0619 died a few months after I got it. It was one of the original mills with a 90VDC motor. It started to not restart after I hit the E-STOP or the safety shield moved (since disconnected). I called Grizzly and shortly had a new motor and control board. Different design since the new motor was 180 VDC. When i asked what to do with the old one i was told "whatever you want." The old motor is on my G4000 lathe. The drill chuck that came with the mill had too much run-out and was promptly replaced. Can't beat Grizzly service.

I certainly am surprised, Fed Ex picked up the non-functioning Mill yesterday and I have a new one sitting in the shop ready to be unpacked as of right now!

11:30 AM.

Back