My New Clausing Colchester Mk1.5 13"x36"

Looking at the photos again, I noticed the Clasusing has a quick change tool post and the Web has the old square post style tool holder. I work with a similar square post tool holder and have thought many times, "GET A QCTP and be done with this Madness! ". They actually work fine, but are very repetative and laborious to set up and clamp down proper tool height each time you switch out tooling. Buying a QCTP just adds $500+ bucks to your lathe purchase. So If you are counting votes, count me in for the Clausing! (So,long as the ways aren't worn and everything works as it should.

Good luck!

Glenn

P.S. You probably already know this, but here is a quick way to check for excessive machine wear: pull the tailstock off the ways part way and feel or look at the bottom of the casting - where it slides along the bed. If the v grove or flat side of the tailstock casting has a grove worn into it from contact with the hardened ways, that means the rest of the machine will likely have distortion/twist in the bed from cross slide wear, and excessive wear everywhere else.... (because all the parts work together.... )it's an easy check and simple to do on site. With really bad wear, you won't be able to crank the saddle all the way back and forth along the bed.

Also, if the quick change gear box is open on the bottom, take along a flashlight and lay down underneath to look and see if the gear teeth are worn out of shape. Again, a tired and worn out lathe will show a lot of wear on these gears. - including 'sharks teeth' sticking up on the edges sometimes on the most often used gears. Noisy gears when running means the teeth are misshapen and clashing with each other due to excessive wear. (Ask me how I learned these things from my old Canadian Navy production lathe). Conversely, if these things look (and sound) reasonable to good, probably all the related mechanics of the machine will be equally in good shape.

Gpb

Thanks for the advise on the tailstock, that will be an easy check. The only thing I have to figure out is how to get it on a trailer. The seller doesn't have a way of lifting it. I am thinking of taking a 2 ton engine hoist with me. Ultimately I don't want to make 2 trips.

Last edited:
Hire a local tilt and load truck. Will be very reasonable and you have no worries. Had my 8000 pound lathe moved for $90.00 between two city boundaries. I had it all ready to move when he arrived .
cheers
Martin

I'll make some calls tomorrow, this is a 6 hour round trip and the local rental place doesn't have a tilt or drop deck trailer. Sunbelt does but they are 90 miles away. I might grab a cherry picker and a pallet jack, do some cribbing and creative American engineering to get it up on the car trailer.

I'm headed out Friday to look at/pick up the lathe. I ended up renting a two axle Uhaul trailer, bought a 2 ton cherry picker and pallet jack and I have a chain fall and a come-a-long as well as some cribbing. I have to get it loaded because I'm not paying the local rigger $1300 to move it from the garage to the trailer as I was quoted today.

You will also probably need four nylon lifting straps. I usually double up in the straps as they often are only rated for 500 pounds. The lathe will weigh in around 1500 to 1800 pounds with the stand etc.

Also one problem with engine lifts is the feet are not very wide, so hard to impossible to get them underneath machine tools. When I moved my 12 x 48" lathe around, I have to go length wise, end for end, with the engine hoist to lift it up.

Well I picked up the lathe today, it was a great experience all around. The gentlemen that I purchased it from was selling it for his father, who is in his 90's. They used it to make parts while restoring a fleet of Model T Fords and other old cars/bikes. We loaded it by maxing out a cherry picker by pushing the bar to the 1/2 ton mark and getting it just high enough to push it into the trailer. Then we used a chain fall to pull it up over the front axle.
The machine came with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, 5c collet set up with Hardinge collets, tons of cutting tools, a Judge quick change tool post, phase converter and about 800lbs of aluminum and steel plate and rod. Unloading it was a breeze and now I have to get everything settled and cleaned up. I can't find the serial # on lathes.uk, but it is F3/60374 if anyone has info on the year. Here are some pictures.
IMG_1162.JPG IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG IMG_1168.JPG IMG_1171.JPG

Great looking lathe. Congrats on your new purchase. The supply of steel and aluminum is a bonus also! Let us know how you fare as you start using it.

Btw, what does the round badge say? Looks like an early day TWA insignia.

Glenn

Back