My new acquisition

Wdnich

Active User
Registered
After looking for months at way overpriced machines, all over the Southeast. I finally found me a Bridgeport. It is a 1962 model, the sad drawback is it has a Birmingham head on it. A local shop had converted to CNC, and it was sitting outside, semi covered. After looking at it, we agreed to a sub $500 price. They had used the machine as spare parts donor, so some things are missing, but I can live with it. A 9x42 table, step pulley. Not my dream machine, out the door, but over time I will get it there.

DSCN3647.jpg

DSCN3648.jpg

DSCN3642.jpg

It will be my winter project. Although can not use it immediately, I figure a complete rebuild and restore will let me know what I have and all the little ticks the machine has. I have this thing about tearing things down after I get them.

Excuse the mess in background. Not normally that way, but making room for the beast had to shift and redo garage. Too many projects not a big enough space.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Bridgeports - what is wrong with having a Birmingham head ? I hope to someday have one myself [BP Mill]

Congrats on your score. And I do mean SCORE! When you get it on station after the refurb it will serve you well. I don't think having a Birmingham head on it is going to affect your results in the least. I've got an entire Birmingham machine, though probably a later model looking at yours, and it does everything I'm capable of doing and much, much more.

Keep us updated with progress pics. It's mandatory here, ya know? :))

I second the congrats. I also picked up a 62 Bridgeport last month. Mine was complete thankfully.

If you need pics of anything to see what parts your missing or how something goes together just let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Maybe not your dream machine but definitely at a dream price WOW,congrats.I will be following you along I'm sure with others as you make progress-----kroll

Thanks for the warm welcome, and comments. Welcome relief to be on a forum without the bashing and insults. Disassembly will hopefully start tomorrow. Just hope the wife does not watch the project account too closely.

Brass- Nothing wrong with Birmingham head, just wished it had been the original Bridgeport for a more complete rebuild.

Alloy- Thanks for the offer on pics and information, I will definitely hit you up before it is over.

Now to decide if I rebuild and keep original power feed, or go to a modern version. I ordered quite a few parts this afternoon, to replace missing originals. Plus the gentleman I bought it from called me he found the new x axis lead screw, they have for it. the current one has a slight bend from them moving it. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
If you go to a modern power feed you will need a shorter lead screw, or find a way to shorten yours. I looked at going that way, but decided that my feed works and to get a new screw would be around $100 for a used one, more for a new one. And around $300 for a new feed. For $92 I got a VFD off Ebay to power my feed unit. Much cheaper than swapping to a new feed unit.

Just an update and new photos. The tear down continues. Been some hick-ups, but nothing super major.

When I bought the machine, I checked the runout on both tables. There was a minimal variance of the .0002 in travel overall on the x-axis, and .0002 on the y-axis. When I tore everything down, both axis had been shimmed .0006.

DSCN3698.jpg

1. The table had smooth free running travel with no binding end to end. So contemplating putting shims back in and running it that way for awhile.

2. Not sure what a regrind, scraping and flaking will run. No one locally , I feel I can trust. Reached out to a gentleman in Knoxville, that used to work at Oakridge and maintain their machines. Waiting to hear back from him.

Removing the power feed was a major obstacle in itself. At one time while moving the machine the lead screw got bent. The bearing was seized on the shaft. I had to break out a portable hydraulic press to get the power feed off. It was so bad ended up mushroom the end of the shaft.

DSCN3731.jpg

You can see some of the variance in the shaft end here.

DSCN3730.jpg

1. Went to pick up replacement that came with the machine, they tried to give me a 42" lead screw, they are looking for the correct one. That is how it goes.

2. May just end up going with the shorter lead screw, and more modern power feed. More decisions.

The check for the wear on the lead screws they seem fine, only a few spots over the entire length that varied more more than .0005. The lead screw nuts were a different story

The threads were flaring out on one end of both, and they were grimed and gunked up with all manner of crap.

DSCN3727.jpg

DSCN3726.jpg

DSCN3711.jpg

This was late last night after wiping down 2 inches of axle grease caked on the outside.

Inside the knee was a mess. Apparently they thought oil fittings were grease fitting. It was like concrete to get some of it out.

This was after an hour of work, with degreaser and a scraper.

DSCN3722.jpg

DSCN3723.jpg

The scraping and flaking on the ways are non-existant, polished with some galling in places, but everything is smooth in its travel

DSCN3728.jpg

DSCN3721.jpg

Another major screw up to fix.

DSCN3680.jpg

Worm gear damage

DSCN3720.jpg

Screw is in great shape.

Bins of parts are soaking for cleaning. Table will go into tank for the last of the surface rust removal.

Hopefully will have the knee pulled today and tear down finished. Several friends stopped by to help last night. One in particular, likes to throw money around commented, " Why do all this, just go buy one ready to run." The other one I thought was going to smack him. Point blank told him " Because it is not in his nature, he likes to rebuild everything, and know what he has."

I probably could spend the bucks to get one in a lot better shape, and ready running. However, I am enjoying this to the last minute. Hurt like the dickens in my older age from the heavy work and lifting, but gives me focus.

On a happier note, I have another mill head waiting if I decide not to rebuild this one. It is a 63 model Bridgeport. Runs like a dream. Now if I could find a replacement door, for the one missing.

I have new high output led lights coming to repair the original, light that came with it. A late birthday gift/favor returned from a fellow boater I do work for that makes underwater LED lights.

Okay chime in with comments recommendations and the such.

I also have one of those type of friends,when he says "I wash and clean my truck today" he means he took it down and had it done.I think your going the right route,even if you purchase a newer model there's still no guaranteeds that it may or may not have the same problems.At lease once your done,you know what you have.Since its going to help you make money then its worth the extra time and money to do it correctly.Know nothing about mills but I have an opinion,LOL----kroll

great find!!!
the head looks similar to the head on my old Index milling machine.
thanks for sharing!!

Back