My machining journey continues with this.

ThunderDog

Registered
Registered
I never really liked the cross slide handle on the Myford/Drummond "M" series lathe. It's small and annoying when you need to feed a larger distance. So, I sat down with some Fusion 360 and cranked out a quick drawing that fit the constraints of my current metal inventory.
Take a look and let me know what you think.

Very nice job! I know it's an optical illusion, but has anyone else ever noticed how many spindles appear to be turning backward in these machining videos?

I really enjoyed your video. It's nice to see how other folks approach a project.

I would have used a graver to make the contours of the handle. You probably don't have gravers but they would have been a great tool for that application.

Thanks for sharing!

From recent experience, I'd have c'sunk the 3 screw heads and put a radius on the outside of the face relief. I've broken innumerable thumbnails spinning handles, catching the thumbnail on the edge of the relief. Of course I haven't taken the time to fix that yet, but soon.....

10 minutes later. I just chamfered the two worst offenders.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
Bredehoft, I considered countersinking too. I'll admit a teensy tiny bit of laziness kicked in.:p

Thanks everyone.
Bredehoft, I considered countersinking too. I'll admit a teensy tiny bit of laziness kicked in.:p

Still can. Nothing says you can't continually improve it when you are more energetic. :aok:

Button heads would be my choice.

Back