My Knowledge Base Has Expanded

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
I finally got a copy of Machinery's Handbook and here it is in all it's glory.
DSCN2270.JPG
Unfortunately it is a Toolbox edition, which was not indicated in the Amazon.ca page I ordered it from. In fact the product dimensions were for the full size edition. I can read it but not sure for how long. Mt eyes aren't getting any better. Going to mull over this for a bit to see if I will return it and get a larger one or not.

I ordered the small version with the cd and it has been fine in the shop. (With old eyes!)
I didn't find the larger version all that bigger when it comes to reading.

Nice score, but before any of you order an older edition, ask here first in the wanted ad section. We can save you a bundle.

"Billy G"

I got some bifocal safety glasses - 2X and 3X. They work as well for fine print as they do for fine work.

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I'll keep this one for the shop and get a second larger one for the house. I guess I can always get reading glasses. My progressive bifocals suck for reading and I usually take my glasses off to read. So maybe reading glasses are the answer.

Bill, I never thought of that, glad you mentioned it. Maybe I'll check it out for a used larger version.

Older versions are not necessarily a disadvantage, depending on the machines you have and the type of work you do or are interested in. If you have antique or vintage machines and are trying to keep them running and useful, an older version might be a better choice. I have the first edition reprint, and it has a lot of engineering content, along with a lot of tables and charts for people who are electronically challenged. Also stuff like shortening and reconnecting a flat leather drive belt, which we did yesterday. I also have a 22nd edition (1984), which is before CNC machines were prevalent, but after computers were becoming commonplace. It suits me well with the education I have and my level of competence with electronics and computers. Anything newer that I am interested in I can pretty easily find online. If you are interested in CNC machines and cutting edge machining, then by all means get the latest edition, and even it might not be up to date enough for the newest and latest machines and techniques. I have never looked at a newer edition than 22.

The 22nd edition I got used, in large print, is in excellent condition, was cheaper than the postage to get it to my door, and it is perfect for what I do most. YMMV.

Back