My Jorney Into The Cnc World.

REdington

Registered
Registered
Back when I was just finishing up machine tool in Vo-Tech (1975), they had just received a NC Bridgeport to start training the next year students. I dropped in a couple of years later to see the Bridgeport in action and wanted a CNC mill since. Back then you had to manually write the G code to a machine that then punched a bunch of holes into a paper tape. The paper tape was then put on a NC part of the Bridgeport to run the machine. How the world has changed since those days. Anyway, I never found a job in the machinist field and I ended up driving a trucks for the last 30 years, and over the road in a team operation the last 12. I had always wanted a mill and a lathe and I got my first small armature lathe in 1990. In 1998 I bought a HF round column mill-drill and installed a DRO on it. A year later I bought my Bridgeport (with DRO) and a Clausing 14 X 48 lathe.

I was kinda late coming to the computer word and discovered the internet in about 2004 and found CNC zone. I made the plunge to convert a Cummings Tool 7877 mini mill (X2) to CNC. I bought the plans from fignoggle, the electronics from Xylotex, machined the all the mounts and ball screws. Also did the belt drive conversion on the spindle drive. Got it so the all the axis to turn with Mach 3. Now I had to start learning CAD and CAM. I tried a few and never could get anywhere with them and I gave up. Here is how the mill sits today.

3I2Cse.jpg

In 2012, I meet a guy that was forming a group to build some 3D printers and joined in with the thought that I would learn CAD and CAM. Got the printer, a Ord-Bot built and improved the design of the extruder we was using. I built about 25 of the Ord-Bot design printers and on the last 11, I increased the build to 300mm X 300mm X 300mm. As luck would have it, life got in the way, the group disbanded and I lost track of everybody, so I didn't get any help with CAD and CAM.

Here is one of the 300mm cubed printers.

B55vLL.jpg

I'm was to the point that I had to take some time to learn CAD. I discovered Shetchup 8 and watched a few youtube videos and I was drawing in no time at all. Now I can print everything I draw up. My son who is a computer nerd talked me into building a computer for working with 3D CAD programs. Now I have a computer with a I9 processor, solid state harddrive and very good processing graphics card.

This is where I'm at today.

OK now to the CAM part. I know my way around the slicing program (but when I updated it, I got lost and had to go back to the version I'm use to) I'm using. So now I need to learn a CAM that will work for the mill. A few years ago, I found a guy on craigslist that had a copy of Mastercam V9 for sale and he agreed to teach me how to use it if I bought it. Got it installed on my computer and he passed away a week later.

Being I have a hard time learning anything on the computer, I want to learn only one CAM program for now. I think I'm going with DeskProto being that they have a hobby version that supports the 4th and 5th axis. I found a few videos and I'll start looking at them tonight. But before I download the free trial, I want to update some of the stuff on the mill like the electronics and do away with the belt drive on the X and Y axis. I also need to build a good stand that will have a support for the column to keep it from moving.

Rodney

3I2Cse.jpg

B55vLL.jpg

Last edited:
Here is how I have the X and Y driven now. They are both driven 1 to 1. The ball screws are 5/8" X .500" pitch.

lFEzHA.jpg

gvYYcU.jpg

The motor on the X axis has a spot on it where it won't hardly turn at all, like the armature is hitting something, and will get replaced. These are 425 oz, 4 wire motors and I have a set of Vexta motors that are a little smaller. I'm going to get them on and leave the belt setup for now and see how bad the backlash is before I change the X and Y to direct drive.

The old electronics is way outdated and doesn't have the power for the 4.4 amp Vexta motors. A couple of years ago I bought 4 DQ542MA drivers and a C10 BOB to do this update.

2JY2XJ.jpg

CAKrLE.jpg

For the power supply, I have a 36 volt but from what I been reading lately, I think I need to go to 48 volts.
I have a pair of 24 volt that I'll wire in series to make 48 volts. I haven't tried it yet to see if it will work, but I'm sure it will.

Rodney

lFEzHA.jpg

gvYYcU.jpg

2JY2XJ.jpg

CAKrLE.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to build my own enclosure for the electronics. I'll make it out of .062 aluminum without a brake. I've done this before and it works slick but a little more work. I'll wire the 2, 24 volt, 10 amp PS in series to make 48 volts. The small PS is for the 5 volts for the BOB. The fans are 24 volts and will be powered off one of the 24 volt PS. Here is the layout.

xbroOZ.jpg

I need to go to town get the aluminum and then I'll get started on it.

Rodney

xbroOZ.jpg

Nice layout. That's a good idea in placing your two 24V switching PS's in series as I would have done that instead of fabricating an expensive 48 volt PS. The transformer and compactors cost me more than 2 24V PS's.
Plus your layout is a lot lighter and neater. Next time I will do your approach. Bob

Well, the PS wired in series didn't work and fried both PSs.

I just bought a used Meanwell 48 volt, 10 amp from feebay for $53 shipped. The old 24 volt PS that came with the original Xylotex kit is only 6 amps. The new motors that will be on the X and Y are 4.4 amps, 2.2 volts. and I hope the 10 amp will be enough to run everything.

Here is the enclosure that I built. I thought about using sheet metal, but I didn't want to take the time to prep and paint it all. I used .125" for the bottom and will act as a heat sink for the drivers, and the rest is .062".

EDy1o1.jpg

TfLWm3.jpg

qsSxIQ.jpg

Rodney

EDy1o1.jpg

TfLWm3.jpg

qsSxIQ.jpg

Thanks for that info. Now everybody knows what won't work. :chemist:

Well crap!!!! My son (a IT, electronics, computer guru) just showed up and I told him about the PS failure. He opened them both up and found this on both of them.

nOzAjG.jpg

Dummy me didn't think to check to see if they worked before I tried wiring them in series.
My new rule on PS's is "check them out" when they arrive (I bought these several months ago).
He is going to fix them and I'll try the series wiring again.

Rodney

nOzAjG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS's are fixed and everything works like it should.

OIEizK.jpg

Rodney

OIEizK.jpg

That's great that it's fixes, I was pulling my hair out in trying to figure out how they could self destruct by putting them in series.
It's a good point to pre-check all the components before the finial assembly.

That's great that it's fixes, I was pulling my hair out in trying to figure out how they could self destruct by putting them in series.

I know what you mean, cause in my mind, I couldn't figure out why it didn't work the first time.

I drew the C10 BOB and the a fan mount in sketchup and have the BOB printing now.

Back