My Index 55 project

bodaver32

Active User
Registered
My Index 55 project - new pics added 1.13.14

Hello,

I am new to the board, mainly because I just purchased the below mill and have started cleaning it up and restoring it. Bear with me as I probably will be asking all types of questions and such others that own a similar mill.

I have been wanting a mill for a few years but could not find one that was not massive to fit in my garage and moving it was another problem I faced. I then found on posted on my local Craig's List. I call the guy and talked to him about it and it sounded promising. I went to look and it and it was a good size for the garage, ran well and was tight and the guy offered to move it for me at no cost! Sold.

I figured I would post some pics along the way..

This is my first photo if it in the garage. The second photo is it after removal of most items and a good cleaning. I still have to do work on the table as there are some bearings I want to replace.

I have started stripping the paint, but not down to bare metal as I am going to sand and touch up the "bondo" layer under the paint. Most of the parts removed have been cleaned/bead blasted and primed.

I now am trying to source the simple parts such as bearings, belts (especially the flat one for the power quill feed), thumb screws, etc. McCaster - Carr seems to have most of the parts.

Mill_before.jpg

Mill_stripped.jpg

Mill_before.jpg Mill_stripped.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! Wish I could find a smaller one like that. Keep us posted on the progress!

I was looking at that mill online and was trying to work things out to look at it, once the weekend came. Then poof, it was gone ... good for you!

It looks like you have the Super 55, mine is just a regular 55, the Supers had the switch for forward / reverse on the top by the front pulley, normal 55's has them on the lower left side of the column, you can still get parts for the mills at Wells Index. I have mine semi painted mine, and have not replaced the quill bearings or have had it reground to R8 by Wells Index. The quill feed belt on mine was in good condition.

- Al

That 50 amp power cord heavy enough?:))

Nice mill! Hope you like it just as much as I like my 645 mill.

Ken

Welcome to the Index 55 sub group! See mine at:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/16975-My-Model-55-s-n-3878-(Made-1951-same-as-me)

What is the bulge on the lower right hand side of the column??? A lubricator????

John Friend

- - - Updated - - -

I handled the paint same as you: sanded, cleaned, bondo'd and painted. Fine after several years. Did NOT strip to bare iron!!! Paint is catalyzed Benjamin-Moore Industrial Coatings. Maybe I went too light on the gray. Shows the way oil very easily...

John Friend

- - - Updated - - -

I think 4gsr answered my question, the bulge is a disconnect and the cord attachment.

John Friend

Yes, the item on the right side is an electrical box. I have since removed it and the power cord. I am going to go with a VFD and a lighter power cord.

I have finally reached the end of cleaning greasy parts and inspecting everything. I have sourced all the bearing that I need, there are five oil seals I would like to replace and am having a hard time sourcing a duplicate. I may have to break down and call Wells - Index. One in on the right side of the quill and the other four are on the power feed gearbox.

The table and saddle have now been removed. I hoped to post pics tonight.

A local bearing house can match up the seals for you. They may not be the same brand, or have the same lip, but dimensionally, they will fit and replace the existing ones. They are not that expensive!
Ken

I got all the old paint off this weekend and began touching up the Bondo. I am not going to go crazy with it, I just want to fix the gouges and chips. It is a slow process. Hopefully, I will get some primer on the column next weekend - but I have a lot of sanding to do...

I thought this was interesting. This "J010" was painted on between the Bondo layer and the factory paint layer. I am speculating that is how the identified mills as they built them? It was a very thin paint, I guess so it would not show through the top coat.

knee.jpg
knee_close.jpg

knee.jpg knee_close.jpg

That is interesting. When I had my table/saddle off I took a 7"grinder with wire cup to the knee and took it down to cast iron. As I whisked away the green/bondo coating I don't recall anything written anywhere, of course I wasn't really looking for it.

Last edited:
Back