My Home Built Table Press Build

tackit

Registered
Registered
I just finished the frame of my 10 ton table H press. I still have to add a transport handle and mount my 10 ton porta power to the frame. I'll be back with pictures when it's totally finished. I ordered an air over hydraulic pump for it, the pump should be here towards the end of the week. I added 1/2" steel spacers to the 4" 7 1/2 lb channels so I would have a 4" gap, the square tube risers are 3" and I didn't think that was wide enough.

I had a hard time with the C channel, the flanges weren't rolled square to each other, they were off quite a bit, the c channel's flange was so far off on one side I had to mill a slot across the flange and bend the flange downward with my big press ....and then fill the milled slot while it remained clamped to my big I beam. It was really nasty steel, it must have come from some third world Asian mill. I had to grind the heavy scale off, it was so bad my blasting cabinet which is filled with only glass bead couldn't touch it.

The pins are 10 " long 3/4" tool steel.

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/cyberjibe/library/Porta Power Press

Hi Tackit, that's nice looking work you're doing. Much more satisfying than going on down to HF and buying their product. The air-over is a great idea too. Years ago I had a 50 ton rated H press out of a company in N.C. The hydraulics were mounted too high for a short guy like me and I was forever needing two hands for work but one was busy on the handle of the hydraulic unit. I changed it over to an air-over system with foot feed operation. Problem solved.

That press was too big for my shop and when I started adding other equipment it found a new home so I had room for more toys. I now have a 20 ton rated HF with hand pumped bottle jack but it is short and easy to operate. I'd still like to adapt it to air-over with a pressure gauge.
Jerry

View attachment 130294 View attachment 130294
Hi Tackit, that's nice looking work you're doing. Much more satisfying than going on down to HF and buying their product. The air-over is a great idea too. Years ago I had a 50 ton rated H press out of a company in N.C. The hydraulics were mounted too high for a short guy like me and I was forever needing two hands for work but one was busy on the handle of the hydraulic unit. I changed it over to an air-over system with foot feed operation. Problem solved.

That press was too big for my shop and when I started adding other equipment it found a new home so I had room for more toys. I now have a 20 ton rated HF with hand pumped bottle jack but it is short and easy to operate. I'd still like to adapt it to air-over with a pressure gauge.
Jerry

I hear ya Jerry, the shop is getting so full of projects I have to move things around to get to the tools and or equipment I need. I can't stand anymore so like you a closer to the ground press makes more sense for me too. I put an air over hydraulic cylinder on my pickup type crane on my welding table awhile back.... so if I want to raise it off the ground it will be an easier job.. It's size should take care of most everything mechanical I get into. The air over hydraulic should make operating the press safer and more convenient, having two hands free is always better. Thanks for replying to the thread Jerry, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I finished the Cylinder Trolley. The square tube spacers slide over 1/2" drill rods, the spacers are cut to a length that leaves a 1/8 inch gap for cylinder movement. The pump arrived yesterday afternoon. I hope to hook it up this weekend . The 4 10 MM holes are for cam follower bearing to steady the trolley so it doesn't twist and or get jerky.

Pump.jpg Cylinder Trolley 1.jpg

Looking really good, be sure to post the finished product. Brian

Nice build tacket, excellent fit and finish. What color is the main frame and did you spray it with paint gun?

It has been a long time since I used any thing like that, It was called hammerite. It use to be some real hard enamel, and I love the finish it gave. They also made a wrinkle finish for a while.
In fact I was able to get the smooth stuff in a pint or quart and use it in my paint gun. Gave just as good a finish as the rattle can did maybe even better since I could control it better.
Ok, just looked it up and it is still available.
I wish I had looked that up prior to doing my band saw. That would have been nice.

Back