My HF 7x10 grew!

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Replaced the bed today with the LMS 14" retrofit bed. While I was at it, I lapped all the gibs and reset them. Much smoother and quite a bit longer machine now. Not a difficult conversion, but it took about 4 hours. Its one of those deals where a second conversion would take about an hour.:thinking: Of course, with the longer bed, I now need to make a steady rest and mount the live center.

Tom

Replaced the bed today with the LMS 14" retrofit bed. While I was at it, I lapped all the gibs and reset them. Much smoother and quite a bit longer machine now. Not a difficult conversion, but it took about 4 hours. Its one of those deals where a second conversion would take about an hour.:thinking: Of course, with the longer bed, I now need to make a steady rest and mount the live center.

Tom

Your going to love all the new space you have now! Its going to be like having a new machine!

JIM

Lol, even with the relatively big increase in length, its still just a lil' lathe. But I am amazed at how many things it can do pretty well. Now I need to turn to my lack of machining education, especially feeds and speeds. The variable speed makes it too easy to skip the math and just dial in the speed at first cut.

Tom

Tom,
The definitave source for speed and feed is Machinery's Handboook. They are a tad pricy for the current edition, but for our purposes a prev edition will do great. There are even PDF versions available so you can just load them on your computer too. Definately a good boook to have or plan to get soon.
Bob

Tom,
The definitave source for speed and feed is Machinery's Handboook. They are a tad pricy for the current edition, but for our purposes a prev edition will do great. There are even PDF versions available so you can just load them on your computer too. Definately a good boook to have or plan to get soon.
Bob

Thanks Bob. I was recently given a 20th Edition. Mind blowing source of information on so many operations and techniques. I doubt I can ever absorb it all, but I do know how to look it up. That old book will see a lot of use as time goes on. I see the original owner penned in the numerical definitions for "Skosh" and "Smidge". Funny guy.:))

Tom

Back