My First Screw

ProfessorGuy

Registered
Registered
I made this screw with my thread cutting attachment on my Sherline tabletop lathe.

firstscrew1.jpg

It is huge compared to the screws I'll need to make for my pocketwatch, but a credible first effort. This brass screw is shown on a silver dollar.

firstscrew2.jpg

I ground the 60-degree threading tool myself. Now I have to make a slot cutter tool.

><gts

Nice job! It's always exciting to learn a new skill and nothing encourages like success. Congrats!

By the way, a P1N parting tool makes a good thread relief tool.

Wow! That's small. Good job! Looking forward to seeing your ''real'' ones.

Great job! What size is it anyway? Looks about like a #6 or #4 by around 30 TPI??
And then the big question is how small do you really need to go? 6-32 is a size that
I can readily do, but 4-40 would be sorta a challenge. Keep on turning.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Nice job! I look forward to seeing your "tiny" screws.

Really nice. Next one you do take a picture of your setup.

Beautiful tiny parts.....WOW!
Do you have a microscope mounted to the cross-slide?!?!
I wouldn't be able to see the thing.

I would like to know size/dimensions of that part...and the real pieces.

Oh...and also those are nice clear close-up pictures. :encourage:

Thanks for sharing!
-brino

Last edited:
Do you have a microscope mounted to the cross-slide?!?

I use a simple 4x jeweler's loupe (with a wire harness) which I've always used for watchmaking. Over the years, I've modified it with air holes to prevent fogging. A loupe, with its 3-4 inch focal length, allows me to put my head right up close to the spindle.
If you look at the photo of me on the left, you can see my long hair and beard. I have since gotten a crewcut and beard trim so I won't have problems getting my face so close to the machinery. Also, I cut the threads by hand: That is, the lathe motor is removed and a manual handwheel installed, so danger is minimized.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "thread relief?"
An undercut below the shoulder of the screw. Used where you need a full thread but but can't cut the thread up to the shoulder. It also gives a nice clean break to the threads.

Back