My first real milling project - comments? - 1911 slide mod.

When I look at your photos I see the slide sticking quite a way out of the vise. This can allow the slide to vibrate, once that starts its hard to stop. I would look at a more solid set up, use a smaller end mill and increase your chip load, look for cutting speed and feed charts on this site, in books and other sources on the internet. These slides machine well but I'm using a heavier machine so what I do won't translate to your machine.

Oh, and I built my first competition 1911 with files while laying in bed following a spinal fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yeah, I realized I had a bad set up for the carry cuts and was running about 700 rpm too fast.
I spent some more time on the bevel, didn't like the way it ended.
I'm pretty happy with it now.
35665716436_9a7520a9fe_c.jpg

35665716586_ecf3bae7b8_c.jpg

35665716976_ce3ea98fd6_c.jpg

It looks ok now but that had to be a lot of polishing. Trouble there is you can end up with wavy lines if your not careful. If you bead blast this to match your slide it should be fine. Do any dehorning you want before the bead blast and it will all blend in.

I did Cerakote on my carry gun and it looks great, mine is not stainless so I had to have a finish. Ive done some stainless 1911's and the satin finish is decent for carry or competition. Polish just marks up going in and out of the holster. Good job and welcome to the forum. Feel free to hit me up if you have questions. Been doing this for a lot of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks TDA. Yeah, it was a lot of time with various grits of sand paper and lapping compound. Been thinking about cerakoting it.

Back