My first monarch

toag

Active User
Registered
I have never had a fancy for monarch lathes. I never knew why guys were all into them. but then i saw one for sale a group buy. so i bought a monarch 10EE (as well as some others...) i'll post once i pick it up. And now of course i think it she is just beautiful. however...

The DC drive was removed, i don't know why, no one seems to know, i cam crossing my fingers on this. I was wondering how much the DC motor/generator weighs. any one know? I know the 10EE weight 3200 isn, but since it is pieces i was wondering how i can get everything there in 2 trips).
I will be talking to you guys a lot once i get it home!

Congratulations on the new toy ;). Do you know what year she is? They have been manufactured for a long time, and there are a lot of variations in the drive system. You should be able to nail it down by year. Schematics are available around the web, I was lucky enough to get the original manual with mine, though, may not match your year (mine has the electron tube drive, not the motor-generator drive).

i dint see (as in couldn't find) the serial number, but it is a "round dial", which i read is an older version.

The round dials are older, probably a motor-generator type, so it should be relatively simple electronically. The year and mfg information is on the base, in the lower right hand corner on a brass plaque.

I am a bit away from the machine atm, and the purchase is a bit complicated so i cant give you a date or serial. this has taken over 3 years to get to the point where i can afford and the owner is ready to part with...). but alls well that ends with me sweating for a few hours to move a machine i always say.

here is a picture taken of the motor/generator IMG_2921.jpg

i am sure this weighs a good bit, and this is the best i can do for a picture of the generator. I was thinking the DC gens were in the 750 lb range weight wise. I was going to pick it with a hoist, and set it on blocks in the truck bed, leaving the trailer for the lathe rating in a now slim 2500 lbs. how far off am i?

IMG_2921.jpg IMG_2921.jpg

Looks great!

I thought at first that the motor-generator was missing completely. Hope it goes back together easily.

Walt

The serial number and build date are on a rectangular cast metal plate, usually on the front of the bed under the tailstock. The serial number is also stamped on the right end of the front flat way.

What you have in the photo is the DC spindle motor and attached 6:1 back-gear box. It mounts in the compartment under the headstock. Look in the compartment under the chip pan to see if the motor/generator are still there. You're also looking for a large box full of relays in the compartment under the headstock and a pair of large potentiometers mounted above.

The spindle motor and back-gear weigh 315 lbs. The motor/generator and exciter weigh 245 lbs.

Cal

i think it is complete, with but in pieces, mainly the gen was pulled. a 1 phase 1/2 hp motor was installed where the motor/gen should be. I am bringing it home at the end of the month, and i will have a truck load of pics and questions, like how to fix the gen/motor, what toolpost to get (bad, axa, multifix) etc. Cal, you will be sick of me in no time at all :)).
I am just tickle the deal went down, everyone is happy and all i have to do is go git it.

the paint job is also nasty bad, so i'll need some help with that too.

here is the only other pic that was sent, i'll snap a bunch when i move it. as you can see the paint looks liek hammered cat poo. On the plus side it has a steady, some chucks and all the covers
10EE_back.jpg

10EE_back.jpg

i think it is complete, with but in pieces, mainly the gen was pulled. a 1 phase 1/2 hp motor was installed where the motor/gen should be. ...
View attachment 54839

I'm pretty sure you mean that 1/2 hp motor was installed where the big DC spindle motor (which you have) was originally installed. Here's what a motor/generator (MG) looks like:
IMG_9928 anno.JPG
There's a compartment under the chip pan where the MG was mounted. It has an access cover on the front, at the operator's feet, and another on the right end, under the tailstock.

I can see from your photo that the two large Ohmite potentiometers are still in place in the big compartment under the headstock. I can't tell if the DC control panel is there or not.

Cal

IMG_9928 anno.JPG

cal, you got me pretty stoked, i remember seeing that stuff when i viewed it, so i am excited to get it back to running on the original motor/gen set.

Back