My first mod

Galileu

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I didn't really intend to start making modifications to my Einhell lathe so soon, but this one was an emergency.
The method for aligning the tailstock in the mini-lathe is a case of bad design; the process can be described as hit and miss, which is very difficult to make converge to the desired setting. Having to remove the tailstock to do and undo the tightening screw underneath, while the alignment must be made from above, is like a bad dream from which you want to get out.

So I did what other people have done and drilled the threaded screw hole through with a 6 mm drill; an M6 screw was inserted from above and a square nut went into the slot where the screw head used to be. This created another problem, because the new screw head conflicted with the spanner when I wanted to lock the tailstock in one place. I may end up making a cam lock but that takes too long and I want to used the lathe, so I needed a solution that was quick to make and effective, even if not ideal.

IMG_0131.JPG

The image shows what I did. From a 16/17 tube spanner i made a 17 socket with 4 holes on the top end for a bar. The socket stays in place all the time, unless I need to completely remove the tailstock; only the bar is removed when not needed. I had to smooth the edges of the socket so that it did not interfere with the tightening screw. As I said, it's not ideal but it works and it was quick to make.

Back