My first lathe

anectine,

Your machine is a surprise, if it really was originally a change gear cabinet model. From 1957 back, Atlas sold 10" machines, Sears sold 12", and both sold 6". When the 1/2" bed 3000 series came out in 1958, Atlas quit selling 10" and began selling the new 12" actually under the Atlas name. And Sears began selling the new models. I have a lot of Sears power tool catalogs and a few Atlas catalogs dated variously from 1959 through 1972 (plus earlier ones that don't apply). The Sears catalogs from 1959 through 1961 list 6 models, 24" and 36" beds, bench models both QCGB and Change Gears, cabinet models only with QCGB. Or in other words, no Change Gear cabinet models. I don't have a 1962 Sears catalog but from 1963 on, no Change Gear models are listed. The only mention is in the ad for the accessory QCGB which up through 1972 lists only two models that it is applicable to, the two bench type Change Gear models offered from 1959 to 1962 or 63. And there is no indication that the final version with the lever operated power cross feed was ever offered as a Change Gear model whether bench or cabinet.

So, it's a mystery. On the original owners manual that you said you have, what model number or model numbers does it show. Should be right on the front cover.

All that being said, your machine as shown in the photo is equivalent to the 3996. Which coincidentally happens to be what I have. In the event that the manual(s) you have don't cover the 3996, I can send you a PDF of that manual. But I'd need your email address as the file size is too large to upload either here or on Yahoo and I don't have the time right now to convert it down to 300 dpi.

Robert D.

anectine,

One thing that I forgot to comment on - the tailstock not locking to the bed. The late 12" tailstock on the 1/2" ways machines has the clamp screw on the back side of the tailstock (unlike most others) and a captive wrench on a special nut. The nut has a flange on top to keep the wrench from coming off. Below the flange the hex is turned down leaving a region where the wrench doesn't control the nut. The total swing of the wrench per stroke is about one flat. If the first (or second or ...) swing doesn't clamp, you lift the wrench up against the flange, swing it back to the other extreme, lower the wrench so that it again engages the nut, and make another 1/6th turn. Repeat if necessary. After using it a little while, the operation becomes second nature. On my machine (most of the time), once you get the nut down to the proper height, one swing will go between loose enough to slide and tight.

Robert D.

Robert
It is a 3996 according to the manual. The earliest date on the manual is 1975. If you look on the door that covers the gears you can tell it has been cut away to clear the QCGB. Not the straightest of cuts. I played with the tail stock last night and found the clamp bar was turned 90 deg and not clamping to the ways. I like easy fixes! Although this makes the 80 mile trip home that much more scary. There was a lot of bumps and nothing holding the tailstock to the lathe!!! Yet it stayed right there.

I would love the PDF file my e-mail is ajhill@comcast.net

OakRidgeGuy I would be honored to have you stop by some time to check it out.

Thank you all

Adam

The 3996 came from the factory with a QCGB. The guard (cover) cutout puzzles me. Even if the machine were originally a change-gear model, according to the manual on the last of the change-gear models, they used the same guard as the QC models. Both the Atlas and the Craftsman manuals agree on this. And the cutout should be just sufficient to clear the FWD-Neutral-REV lever. It should not run as far to the left, nor all the way to the bottom. I strongly recommend you get a piece of thin sheet metal and pop-rivet over part of the cutout. Else, when you get it ready to run, all freshly oiled and greased up, and turn it on, it's going to sling oil and grease out the hole.

Good to hear what you found at the tailstock. And good that you didn't find it at the other end of the ride but not be able to fix it.

I assume that you received the file, as I didn't get a bounce report.

Robert D.

I did get the file! Thank you. I was only guessing at the prior change gear set up. It was the only thing that made sense. Thanks for the warning on covering the hole I had not thought of that. I have 2 gears to buy to fix the QCGB. Causing wants $150 for them

OK. $150 sounds a lot for two gears. Unfortunately, it isn't, for new parts today. Although you can and probably should look for the gears on the used market, if nothing else has to be changed $600 for what you got is still a steal. :)

Another thing - as the 3996 originally came with a QCGB, you might want to try to track back and find out what became of the new one bought in 1981. Or if for some reason the new one got installed on your machine in 1981, try to track down the remains of the one that it replaced.

Robert D.

I agree 150 is a little more than I wanted to hear. I have searched e-bay with no luck yet. Are there any other places to search for parts? I can find accessories all day but the actual parts are a little harder to find.

The only other suggestion I can think of is to contact the several eBay sellers who seem to always be selling things like talistock parts, carriages, reversing gearboxes, etc. on eBay. Known to some as "lathe strippers". As I told someone else recently who needed a small part out of a reversing gearbox, they could have a broken QC and haven't bothered with the individual small parts.

Robert D.

Great I dea! I think I am down to needing just one gear now. I took the compound gear which is 2 gears pressed onto a bronze bushing, mounted each gear in by wood lathe and used a 3/4" drill to open the hole a little more. I then pressed in a 5/8x3/4 bronze bussing I found at Ace and they are now stuck back together! If this slips I plan to add a little braze to the outside of each gear and lap it flat. On the othe I am thinking of having a 1/8" key way broached in and silver solder a key in the slot. i love fixing things myself, I guess that is the biggest reason for buying the lathe.

Adam

You know, when you get that thing up and running... just might have to come up with a project to do...

Back