My first lathe

anectine

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone.
I am new to the forum, and metal working in general. I have watched everything I can find, read the words on some web sites until the fell off the screen! Yesterday my father (was once a machinest) brought home my new toy, an Atlas 12x36. She has a few issues but for $450 I think I can get her up and running. Le me know what you guys think. Did I invest wisely or not?

Oh yeah I have 3-3 jaw chucks. 1-4 jaw, a faceplate, 3-Jacobs chucks (one has a 3/4" capacity), and several other pieces in a box I have not went through yet.

lathe.jpeg

I've never had one but it looks like you did ok, The chucks are worth about that much if there in good shape. The drill chucks would go at a good price on ebay also.

A good paint job and a rebuild it would look new.

Paul

Nice!!! I need to find a deal like this! Congrats and have fun.

Chris

Yep, that's a fair price. It will be a fun cleaning/rebuilding project and it will probably serve you well.

anectine,

That was a good price for what I can see. The nameplate was originally on the right end of the bed. If still present, it will identify the model and also whether the machine was originally an Atlas or a Craftsman. Missing from the front of the headstock is the speed chart. Missing from the QCGB is the threading chart. You will definitely need those in order to be able to operate the lathe. You may get lucky and find them in the box that you mentioned. If not, you may still be able to buy replacements from Clausing (along with many other parts if you should need to replace anything). If you do, also buy the attachment screws. They are a type of thread cutting (self tapping) that you aren't likely to find at Ace or Home Depot, although the chances are better at Ace. In the meantime, one of the Craftsman manuals has a drawing of the threading chart and one of the Atlas manuals has a drawing of the speed chart. Many parts also show up on eBay. Most of them will be off of the earlier Craftsman models (not whichever yours is) but some will also fit the later Craftsman or Atlas like yours. For example, the cranks on the cross feed and the compound, both of which appear to have had one knob cut off.

Robert D.

The problem list found so far:
The saddle would not move down the ways - fixed that with a little oil and a nylon brush. the cross slide feed gear was rusted to the lead screw
The lead screw would not turn - found 2 broken gears in the QCGB. I have contacted Clausing for replacements
The tail stock will not lock to the ways - will look at that tomorrow

I do not think it was a Craftsman, there is not a name plate that I can find. All the original manuals came with the lathe and Atlas and Clausing all over them. I even have the blank original registration card. The fellow who sold it to me tells me he never ran it. It was given to him by a friend whos father owned it and had died. He claimed that it was owned by the USAF before that, not sure I believe that.

It was originally a change gear machine, in 1981 the owner added the QCGB, I have the sales receit! The head stock gear cover was modified to accomodate the QCGB.

One question should I take the time to check out the lead screw clutch assembly?

so far I am very pleased :)
OH yeah, the charts are no where to be found I'll ask clausing if they have those also.

If you want them, I just uploaded a PDF showing drawings of the Speed and Feed charts. Go to Downloads and then Atlas, Clausing, etc.

Given the stuck condition of several things, it wouldn't be a bad idea to test the slip clutch. Instructions for setting are in the Owners Manual and also in the late model QCGB installation manual.

I can't quite tell from the photo which type of engagement it has for the power crossfeed (knob to pull out or lever to pull down). The cross feed crank or handle is in just the wrong position. Which does it have?

Robert D.

Not that I know what Im doing, but the folks here have been VERY helpful to me. I just got my small lathe up and running a few weeks back. Like I said I dont have a clue, but its nice to be in a place where people are eager to help.

It does have the lever to engage the cross slide. it was missing on the lathe but found in the box-o-stuff. Thank you wa5cab, that will be most helpful

You know.. that there is going to be some time when I am going to want come down and check it out..

Back