My first lathe! What model is it? Pics!

Small update!

Aquiring a quick change tool post from my uncle this evening. Not sure what brand it is but I'm sure it will work for now.

Ordered a Chicago/latobe HSS drill bit set, South bend way oil, tap magic! Grabbing a few ounces of Mobile DTE24 (ISO32) oil from work.

I did some more checking and it appears my bearings might just have some absorbing cloth in them to hold oil. I thought it was grease at first but I was wrong.

I got the gear reduction broke loose/figured out! I didn't know what that lever did until Sunday!

The only thing I have left to de rust is the steady rest. will be done with everything then!

My drill chuck shows up Thursday. I should be able to start making my bushings so I can get to some threading!

I think tonight will be cleaning and setting up the QCTP. I hope it works on there.

Ill get some pics.

Also I was thinking of adding a 36" Igauging digital readout on the lathe. What are your opinions? Will that decrease the value? I don't want to go ruining a nice piece of vintage equipment!

Picked up the QCTP last night. Needed to modify the compound and make a T-nut out of the plate that came with it......

Blew a fuse in my G0704 so I didnt make it very far... I have the worst of luck with new machines blowing fuses. Anyway...
Ill get the T-nut drawings up when I can.
clSQRNDl.jpg
awFhGu8l.jpg
tylK77dl.jpg
dC3WeHYl.jpg
uQFRR1Wl.jpg

clSQRNDl.jpg

awFhGu8l.jpg

tylK77dl.jpg

dC3WeHYl.jpg

uQFRR1Wl.jpg

Ended the life of 5 endmills on the t nut project and still not done. : P. I have me some learning to do.....

On a side note while I await my new endmills I am thinking of picking up a 3 jaw chuck. Anyone have any recommendations. I want to balance accuracy and budget.

My ways were rusted like that in spots, I took a fine scotch brite type of pad along with wd40 and went at it again and again. Maybe not the best way but it removed the rust and worked.

My ways had a lot of surface rust on them, and that's what I did as well. Scotch Brite pads and 10w non detergent oil until they were clean and shiny. I used the kitchen variety Scotch Brite pads, and not the round "cookies" you use with a die grinder.

GG

Ended the life of 5 endmills on the t nut project and still not done. : P. I have me some learning to do.....

The T-nut should not be hardened steel, so if you go at it slow and easy it should cut fine. Make sure your spindle speed is not too fast for your end mill diameter. The blue chips can indicate too high of a cutting speed on mild steel. I killed off a few end mills while learning too. Keep the dead ones, though. They can be sharpened, or even re-ground into new cutting tools.

GG

Good news.... I got my quick change on... Bad news... as soon as I did the god damn motor quit working! Gonna meg it at work tomorrow.... I've been having all the luck lately.

wMH20Aul.jpg
dZA6g8Nl.jpg

wMH20Aul.jpg

dZA6g8Nl.jpg

Crisis averted... There was a small button on the motor that disconnected the points... Totally did not see it. Turn on brothers.

Finally made some make do bushings for now. the 3D printed ones out of ABS seemed to work fine until I pulled them out they delaminated. I think I will make some in nylon next week. Now I need to 3D print all the gears as I found my set is not complete.

I broke my 3d printer so that wont start till next week. Ill report back.

Also, Bad news, I broke my handwheel on my tailstock. Fell right apart when I was sliding it backwards... Oh well, what do you expect from something that old. Gives me another project to accomplish!

mBaRYwyl.jpg

mBaRYwyl.jpg

mBaRYwyl.jpg

Back