1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

My first lathe - don't laugh

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by jaredbeck, Aug 20, 2017.

1. RichardDeptris

RichardDeptris United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    San Francisco
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

361549208446Congratulations! I have two of those lathes in various states of restoration. Each one is missing parts and between the two there's a nearly complete 109 lathe. Neither have the back gear assembly and one is missing the pulley and spindle assembly.

Surprisingly, they're both -703s which is a model up from yours. After I complete the restoration, which is mainly derusting and cleaning, I will sell it off piece by piece.

I thought about modding it into a decent lathe, but the spindle size is the deal killer. It is too puny to be of any use. It's literally the thickness of a pen. The MT0 taper it uses, from what I've read, is slightly non-standard. I contemplated performing a decapitation and laceration where I would replace the headstock and tailstock with one from a cheap HF lathe. I posted my thoughts on a 109 forum and I was told to not waste my time.

I figure the parts are worth enough money to purchase a more righteous lathe with true victimization power.

Here's my ill-advised idea to decapitate and lacerate and create a Frankenlathe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2017
    jaredbeck likes this.
  2. cwgreen1938

cwgreen1938 United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Bangs
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

You may have found a barn find. I have a
    109.20630, it is called a 5" and is a 1945 model. Yours is probably older than mine. I have not got mine running yet because it has lots of surface rust. I am going to take it all apart and clean and maybe paint it. If yours is not worn a lot you are in great shape. Just to let you know, there are still a few lathe parts available according to their website. I also have a Sears/Atlas
    101.07403, a 12X36" that is a 1951 model. It is not running yet, it needs the same TLC as the other one. They are both complete and if you and I can get these things in operating order I think we will be far ahead from buying a Harbor Freight mini lathe. Like you, I'm excited to get going and make something. Good luck and hope you get going soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaredbeck likes this.
  3. dlane

dlane Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oroville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Richard : The procedure for using tapatalk on this site is apparently different than others
    If you search using tapatalk, it should explain how to post pics on this site that actually show up as a picture and not red x's
    Don't know where to search but it's somewhere on this site

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. chipmaker51

chipmaker51 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oxford
    State:
    Mississippi

-Return to Top-

Congratulations on your lathe. I started out with one very similar only it had a four jaw along with a face plate and centers. In spite of enough slack to steer a truck through, along with bell mouthed jaws, I learned to "dial in" the work with that chuck. It serves its purpose and I learned something too. When this really takes hold you'll never again pick up an interesting part without asking yourself "How did they do that? And if I had to, how would I?" :)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

jaredbeck likes this.
  5. TRX

TRX United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Central
    State:
    Arkansas

-Return to Top-

Even after you get a bigger, more capable lathe, you'll find you'll use the little lathe maybe 20% of the time anyway, for when you're doing second ops on parts from the big lathe, or you just want a quick job without having to clean up the new one after you're done, etc.

jaredbeck likes this.
  6. Scott.S

Scott.S United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Royalton
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Heck, I started out with a commutator lathe and then upgraded to a Sears 109. The 109s are fun little machines and very easy to restore as they are so basic.
    After two 109s and an Atlas 618 I settled on a 1936 Atlas 10" ( with babbet bearings ) and a treadmill motor for the spindle and the feed screw.
    Just more proof one can make almost anything work given enough time and energy.

jaredbeck and brino like this.
  7. jaredbeck

jaredbeck United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Lansing
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Thanks to Bob K, I found a 1/2-24 backplate ...

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 11.51.45 AM.png

.. and a chuck. They came in the mail this week, and they bolt right together, I don't have to drill anything!

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 11.51.25 AM.png

The only modification I have to do is to turn down the "locator" step on the front of the backplate. The problem is, it's cast iron, I only have HSS tools, and my lathe's slowest speed right now is 1070 rpm. Turning a 2.5" diameter at that speed is around 400 SFPM and my Machinery's Handbook says 60 SFPM for cast iron. Of course, I tried anyway :p but it just melts my HSS. So, I ordered some brazed carbide tools from Grizzly.

I'd like to learn more about how to set up a "jack shaft" to slow down my spindle further, but I haven't gotten around to researching that yet. I want to get a chuck mounted first.

brino and francist like this.
  8. Dave 41

Dave 41 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Florence
    State:
    Mississippi

-Return to Top-

I have one, it does thread on. I know because it was given to me in pieces, because the spindle is bent. Be careful with it.