My first lathe - don't laugh

jaredbeck

Registered
Registered
Hi y'all, I got my first lathe. It's pretty exciting for me but it's very basic, probably not too interesting for other people. It doesn't even have a chuck, just a faceplate and dead centers!

Like I said in my intro. post last week, I'm looking to get a real machine, like a Grizzly G4003 or a PM-1236. But, in the meantime, I found this lathe for free (no motor) on the Syracuse craigslist and I thought I could learn something about how to operate a lathe while I wait to get a real machine.

sears_lathe_1.jpg

I took apart the carriage and tailstock, dunked everything in degreaser and ran every part through my new parts washer. I oiled everything, put it back together, and I don't have any parts left over, so that's good!

Side note: I wanted to replace a taper pin, then I looked up what an assortment of pins costs, and just reused it as is. :) The assortments don't even cover the really small pins like this machine has (0.090", size #5/0) so .. well I know this is going to be an expensive hobby! :D

sears_lathe_2.jpg

The lathe is at least as old as me because when I was a kid, Sears and Roebuck was already just called Sears.

I borrowed a 1/3 hp motor from my dad. I have a feeling it'll be enough to turn little stuff, but I don't know, what do you think?

lathe_motor_1.jpg

lathe_motor_2.jpg

It has a forward/reverse switch right on the motor, so that might come in handy.

lathe_motor_3.jpg

Now I just need to mount everything to my bench. I have a belt, and both machines have cone pulleys .. so .. will the belt fit both? I don't know anything about belts. I probably need some advice about that.

Well, I hope that wasn't too boring. It's exciting for me. I've been watching machining videos on YT for at least a year, so I'm stoked to finally get a lathe to play with. Maybe you can relate to getting your first machine tool? :)

Belated Welcome! I'm sure no one will laugh at you because that is not how we roll around here. I share your excitement and hope your "new" lathe works out for you. Probably a good way to start because the intimidation factor wont be as high as a large machine. Get your hands on some lathe bits and jump in and please ask questions if needed! :encourage: Also feel free to ask anyone here about the cost of this obsession, I mean hobby, seems expensive at times but for me at least the smile on my face and satisfaction of finishing a project big or small makes it worth it.

Hey Jared, that's a cool little lathe! Nothing wrong with starting out small and building from there. It'll cut metal, it'll teach you things, and you'll learn lots. And really, that's the name of the game.

And for total giggles, here's a (small) pic of my first woodworking lathe 40 years ago! Yup, four pieces of wood, two dowels, some ill fitting screws and candle wax for lubricant. Power was supplied by my left hand pulling a cord wrapped around the blank and running to a clothesline pulley hanging from the ceiling. Uglier than sin, but it got the job done. Sometimes it's not what you've got but what you do with it that counts.

Happy turning!

-frank

image.jpeg

I like it the 1725 rpm 1/3hp motor should be good for it, find a chuck and start making chips.
And you can't beat the price :big grin:
Frank I'm at a loss for words on your first lathe except ok , do you still have it.

Last edited:
Derek -- yeah, still have it. Pretty brutal isn't it? its been in the scrap box more than once but I keep dragging it out. My mom always remembered it, I think she liked the "make do with what you have" feel about it.

-frank

Welcome and congratulations. Wow ...... I had a little Sears lathe just like that once (about$10,000 ago) that I got for free from a friend. Now I have a complete home shop where I can build almost anything I want ( and have done so). Even though I have been a machinist all my life, l didn't start it as a hobby until I retired about 10 years ago. You will start upgrading as you learn more.

congratulations jared on the new lathe!
you'll need to make or get some drive dogs, but that is easy enough.
you'll learn how to turn between centers first off, and that will turn the most accurate work possible on your new joy!
have lots of fun learning!

Back