My First Lathe, But It Needs Some Work, Where To Start?

Matthew, Your Welcome.

One thing this group loves is photos!
If you could find a few minutes to get some of your "new" machine and any of the pieces that you cannot identify I know we would appreciate them.

-brino

DRO is nice. Is get it to turning & making chips first tho. You may even break a few more parts learning. Try to make what ever parts you need before buying them. After all that is why you got it right.

When you drill & tape it keep in mind making the handle that replaces it. That would be a nice project to learn on.

You do need a way of measuring. Cheap indicators, calipers, & mics will get you started. I don't know the size of that lathe but I'm sure you'd have room for iGuaging scales or fixing calipers to it.

I built my DRO with iGuaging scales, msp430, & Touch DRO for Android. I got the scales cheap so it cost me less then $200 per machine.

I built my DRO with iGuaging scales, msp430, & Touch DRO for Android. I got the scales cheap so it cost me less then $200 per machine

Hey kingmt01
Not to highjack this thread, but would you consider taking some pictures and doing up a new thread for those?
Thanks!
-brino

Hmm. It takes me awhile to get around to this stuff. I think I have some shared publicly on my g+. Look me up by name Mt King. I'll try to take some pictures of them mounted on the mill.

replace the belt with a serpentine belt, a world of difference from the old belts
in order to do so you will have to pull the spindle
but you should do that anyhow as you will have to clean and inspect the oilpassages and spindle bearings
and stop buying things for the lathe until you know what to buy
buying a thread dial for a lathe with a busted backgear is money spent prematurely

Great advice everyone. THANK YOU!! I have some pictures on my phone. I'll get them posted soon.

-Matt

Here's a picture of the broken handles:

cross%20slide_zpseknhozue.jpg
I've been using the back-end of a drill-bit to move things around for now.

-Matt

You could braze in a piece of metal there, make a forum tool, & brooch those teeth back in.

ETA: I'd make that handle for sure.

Can you braze onto zamak? I didn't think you could.

I'd give a go at making the missing handle parts too rather than buying all new ones. Good first project for the new machine and you really won't wreck anything if you have to make a few tries at them.

-frank

Back