My first lathe ... 618

I checked the spindle and found the outside (towards change gears) oil seal was not seated correctly. A few taps with a brass flat punch took care of the problem. Other than that ... everything seems good and tight with no slop whatsoever.

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

I bought my 618 from a retired machinist that purchased it new in 1949 to make a steam locomotive. I paid $150 in 1975 which is about $670 in today's dollars. So so far you are doing pretty good.
Now it came with the manual a number of replacement wear items like the clam shell half nuts, brass cross slide nut and a few other things. And lots and lots of custom ground lathe tools.
I lived forever with the rocker tool post and hated every year I had it, to the extent that I sometimes wouldn't switch to a more appropriate lathe tool if I could possibly avoid it.
A few years ago I broke down and got a QCTP from Little machine shop. Awe heaven at last. The only thing I regretted is not ordering way more tool holders with the initial purchase. Had to place a separate order.

Keeps us updated on your progress. I love my Atlas 618.
David

I had located the pinion and shaft, part number M6-68, which I need to replace, and is available from Sears parts direct in the USA. I tried calling the toll free number but it won't accept calls from Canada. I then tried calling Sears Canada ... got to talk to someone ... and then their supervisor ... who told me that although the parts are still being made and /or are still available from Sears in the US ... they can't order them from the states. I asked if there was anyone in the entire corporation in Canada that could pick up a phone and get the part for me ... and the answer was NO ... if it doesn't come up on their computer screen ... they can't do anything about it.

I was totally flabbergasted! Not a happy camper!

So just on the off chance that I could still get some parts from Clausing/Atlas directly ... I called the toll-free number. An actual person answered ... and promptly transferred me to someone who could help me with Atlas replacement parts.

This was a wonderful experience! Actually speaking with someone (a nice lady) who knew what I was talking about. I took a look at the exploded parts chart and ordered some other replacement parts, because my original part, M6-68 which was $57 at Sears direct in the states ... was $23 from Clausing!!! She kept rattling off ... ''those set screws are $1 a piece'' ... so I just kept adding to the order ... :) A very pleasant experience! Totally happy camper!!

Heh heh. I was going to suggest calling Clausing, although I wasn't quite certain as to whether or not they will ship to Canada. Glad to learn that they will. And although it says something for Sears that they still support equipment that they have not sold for the past 36 years, they do get most of their stock from Clausing.

FWIW, the steel cups that are on both sides of both spindle bearings are dust covers, not actually seals.

I got two packages in the mail today ... the first one from ebay ...

IMG_1521.jpg

The second one from Clausing ...

IMG_1522.jpg

I just need to find some time to clean everything and reassemble for some testing ...

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see it making chips.

David

I got the new parts installed ... adjusted what I can ... and it looks like it is running ok. Here is a link to a youtube video of the lathe in operation.

There is no sign of the binding noise that it was making prior to swapping the needed parts. Looks like i am good to go.

IMG_1544.jpg

I will be getting the starter kit from the LMS website. I am thinking of getting a few HSS inserts to get me started because I have no grinding wheels or wet stones ... in fact ... I have no tools to sharpen anything. So for the time being ... I will start with inserts.

As for the motor situation ... I will look at that at a later date.

Last edited:
the teeth on m
I started taking the machine apart to assess what is possibly needed to make the lathe run correctly.

View attachment 241535

First up is the carriage jamming situation ...

View attachment 241536

The ''CARRIAGE TRAVERSE SHAFT + PINION'' (M6-68) looks chewed up. The rest of the gears look great and turn very smoothly with no hint of binding or coarseness of any kind.

View attachment 241537

View attachment 241538

Looks like I am going to have to find a replacement for this part.

My carriage drives are similar to yours of the last two photos , nowadays I use a simple two plate offset carriage stop to hold/ stop the tool where it's needed . Now I've become better & more confident at using the old lathe I tend to use the gear box to drive the carriage so the damaged tooth is not at that awkward point under hand wheel control for that vital portion of travel .

Sometimes it's meant me having to run it through a sequence without power on so I can get the cutting tool in the right position onn the cross slide to allow me to do it without crashing the cutter into the chuck nor removing parts that I don't want removing .
I've found that I can run it on auto cut to almost 1 mm from the chuck but do prefer a good 3 mm free un-powered travel to be finished of freehand

Last edited:
Sounds like my Craftsman with the feed engaged...loud. :)

I've got roughly the same amount invested in mine as you have. I just ordered the starter kit from LMS, it's suppose to be here tomorrow. I can't wait, my machine is ready to go but the lantern tool post isn't the right one for the machine and I don't have any tool holders. I stuck a RH turning tool in the holder to try it but you have to tip it way down to get it on center which seems to mess with the cutting quite a bit. To get all those original parts I was just as well to go with the LMS kit.

It also looks like your machine is geared for cutting threads, you might want to check that before you try and make some cuts.

K

Back