my first engine

bosephus

Registered
Registered
thanks to terrywerm for bringing this engine to my attn and a bit of helpful advice .

i decided to build this engine mainly because after getting a look at the plans last night i realized i had nearly everything i needed to build it already minus a single piece of brass .

its the easy engine from another site we wont mention here ... and the plans are aptly named , this is going to be a rather easy and very fun project .

i was feeling rather ambitious this morning so i made a pretty good start today .... here goes the pics

both pieces for the base sawn out of a sheet of quarter inch aluminum

IMG_20141125_191228.jpg

holes layed out and center punched on the upright portion of the base

IMG_20141125_192458.jpg

holes centerdrilled a pilot holes finished ... except for a set screw i forgot :nervous:

IMG_20141125_201231.jpg

and the upright mounted on the base

ooops .... i seem to have met my quota on pics ... once i figure out how to fix that ill upload some more

this evenings project ... turn some round stock into squares for the cylinder and valve

IMG_20141125_191228.jpg IMG_20141125_192458.jpg IMG_20141125_201231.jpg

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Good Luck - Enjoy the journey!

Dave

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'd like to try something similar...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am going to enjoy watching your progress on this fine undertaking. Nice that you have the ambition and I am sure you will learn and enjoy the building of this project.:thumbsup:

Im going to have to make a acount on an image hosting site .... so i can share the pics
Ill make it first on my list saterday .
My nephew stopped by this evening and we made some progress . A lot in fact .

The first thing we did was to get the hole drilled in the frame for the crank shaft bushing and its set screw drilled and tapped .. and we also got the crank bushing made .

The We turned two chunks of round aluminum into two squares for the cylinder and valce body
And we got the valve body finished mounted on the frame along with the valve itself finished.
D
Then feeling extra ambitiouse we also got the cylinder mostly finished .. all thats left to finish it is to ream the cylinder hole .

Total time spent out tinkering today was about three hours

If i can find something suitable to make the piston i can have this thing finished this weekend

WoW I blink and you have nearly got it done!!!

Yep the bug bites deep , don't it

Brian.

It is always rewarding to watch a new engine come to life. Even more so when it is the builders first. I look forward to watching your progress on this. kudos to you.

"Billy G"

ok fella's i do apologise for not getting back here sooner but life has a way of getting out of control .

i did get the little engine finished and i took a fair amount of pics .. but photo bucket isnt to friendly to a slow connection .

so if it works here is a couple finished pics ... it runs quite well on about 6 psi @ about 100 rpm , when i get a chance im going to do some repainting . my primer didnt etch the aluminum and it is easy to flake off , but other wise i am tickled pink . i also have two strips of 3/8 oak im going to use for the runners to sit on

IMG_20141204_184324_zps3f4fd270.jpg IMG_20141204_1843001_zps4ed2fcbd.jpg

IMG_20141204_184324_zps3f4fd270.jpg IMG_20141204_1843001_zps4ed2fcbd.jpg

Back