My Clausing 8520

Tool-in-the-Box

Active User
Registered
Over the past two years I have been collecting small machine tools for my home shop. Holding on to the best of the best machines I could find. I plan to just make models and other small stuff as a hobby. Its just a small 12' x 10' space but with lots of moving things around on paper I can fit most of what I "think" I will need. I am close to setting things up. I just need to do some final touches to the tools before bringing them home. Now that things are almost ready I figured I would share a few pics of the machines I decided on.

CLAUSING 8520 MILLING MACHINE:

First off a big thanks to itsmeburnie for tipping me off to this home shop sale. I bought a ton of stuff there but the highlights were this mill and a beautiful SB heavy 10 which Bernie bought. The owner said he had the machine hand scraped some time in the 80's by a professional.

I also bought the rotary table from him. According to the Causing catalog it looks to be the original table for the machine.
The vise is original Causing as well but I bought it on eBay.
The machine also came with a full spread of MT2 collects and drill chuck.

Cost:

Machine 1200.00
Vise 400.00
Rotary Table 200.00
--------------------------

Total Investment: 1800.00 + McDonald's for Bernie and I.

Pics of the machine are as found, I have not had a chance to clean it up yet.

X1.JPGX2.JPGX3.JPG

X1.JPG X2.JPG X3.JPG

Re: My Clausing 8250

Lucky dog, mine isn't quite as nice, no power feeds, no cabinet stand, required motor replacement and re-wiring, and with shipping ran me around $2000.
Mine did come with a full set of collets and a small cabinet full of tooling, vise, and such.
Was all set to buy a power feed off of eBay until I noticed it had the wrong mounting kit.

Thanks. Did they actually make a PF kit for these? I thought they were all custom done. This on is odd since it also has power on the Z axis. Never seen that done before. -J

Interesting that the table is half-moon flaked. Is it also scraped or is it flaked to give it a nicer appearence? Either way it's a lovely machine.

Paul.

Nice find... but what needs cleaning ???? :)
That mill looks like the only thing missing to make some chips are a chunck of metal, a mill and a working outlet :)

Have fun

The PF attachment on my 8520 is a Clausing PF, never have seen one on the Z axis before

image.jpg

image.jpg

Interesting that the table is half-moon flaked. Is it also scraped or is it flaked to give it a nicer appearence? Either way it's a lovely machine.

Paul.

I am not really familiar with hand scraping but I dont think it's just cosmetic. Mainly because all the ways have the half moons, not just the table. I can not see anyone taking everything apart just for cosmetics.

Yes, the machine is clean and good to go but I will clean it some more, just out of enjoyment.

It's been killing me not to "play" with this one. It's been sitting for a year now and I only powered it on day one to make sure it ran. Can't wait to get this baby in the shop and make chips.

Lol, Bishop, you have good taste. Is that a riser block on yours?

Until I saw you mill I didn't realize I might have a riser block. I'm 99% sure it factory original as the paint covers the joint and I'm 98% certain the paint is original? Might just be a difference in the year of manufacturing?

Shawn

The Clausing mill like yours are great ( PERFECT )for the home shop. You have an early machine because Clausing is cast on the side of the column. The later machines have a tag that is put on with drive screws. What kind of power feed is that on the x axis ? Looks like a Servo.

Back