My Boys Bike

taycat

Registered
Registered
not your normal bike, but something my 7yr old fancied after i built myself one.
handlebars came from an old exercise machine, and bottom bracket is adjustable using a seat post and tube with crank welded to it.
my boy did fair bit of welding on it, not prettiest welding but holds up.aaaa1.jpg

cool and even cooler you got your son"s interest:adore:

Very nice, Taycat. Especially nice that your son was involved.

Cool. How do you steer it?

ends of booms holding front wheels have headstock tubes, then underneath connecting them is a rod with rose joints on end.
handlebars are just welded to goosenecks from normal handlebars and fitted into headstocks like normal.
then you just steer like normal.
sw20.jpg this is pic of mine upside down that shows connecting rod, ignore one at 45 deg that was where mine had under seat steering.

couple of others we built together my boys chopper trike, and my girls front wheel drive trike.t1.jpg testrun.jpg

I have seen some riders on the road and only was able to get a quick look while stopped at a traffic light etc.
I'd like to see some more photos of the bikes you and your son built. I haven't been able to ride bicycle in years, but I think a trike with a recombinant design may work with my bad knees.

Mike

mike not sure how to do pms on here but if you send me e-mail adress will send you some plans.
have got tadpole ( 2 wheels at front) normal trike and quad designs.
top pic is bike i built my eldest girl forks were extended using landrover steering rods.
bottom one is one me and the mookins ( my name for youngest girl) built.
final one is for chopper i am building had to make hub from scratch and spoke up the car wheel, wont have the swingarms as some nice person whipped them off the drive.
have found motorbike breakers that will let me have set of swingarms from one of less popular models dirt cheap.chop 1.jpg chop 3.jpg sw1.jpg
most of my pics were lost when old laptop died.

also with your bad knees you should use shorter crank arms, and possibly fit hub part way along frame with a small cog and a large cog welded to it.
that way you run from crank to small cog and large one to rear cluster.
it halves the amount of power needed to drive it.
last time i did it i used smallest cog from dismantled rear cassette and largest from 3pce front vrank unit.

The Atomic Zombie website has some interesting plans for bikes and trikes. And tips and tricks on how to salvage material and parts from old bikes.

Back