My arbor press mods

sloppy

Registered
Registered
I picked up a 1ton arbor press a few weeks ago. I needed to punch some holes in spring steel, I was using a hand punch and well My hands were getting tired :D

So I went to HF and picked this thing up on sale.

Picture123.jpg

First order of buisness was to get a hole in here..

Picture124.jpg
This was somewhat of a dilema I have a very small drill press(on my list of things that needs upgraded) and I had just purchased a 7x10 lathe. I figured no way I could fit the quill in either of those to make a nice center hole.. I made some calls had the use of a large lathe lined up it fell threw and here is plan B.
I cut a quick plate out and mounted it on the lathe where the compound was at.
I then got the old cheapy drill press vice off the welding bench.
Picture127.jpg
I centered it all up and drilled away..
Picture129.jpg
Picture131.jpg
and fit was pretty good..
Picture132.jpg
Picture133.jpg

While i had it all tore down I also made this little mod. removed the bottom couple teeth with the old angle grinder to make the press ratchet.. Picture144.jpg
I got the idea for the ratchet from a youtube video.. pretty good idea..
[video=youtube;tFfx2_bj104] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfx2_bj104 [/video]

well all in all I am pretty happy with now owning this little tool its came in handy several times now..

Picture123.jpg

Picture124.jpg

Picture127.jpg

View attachment Picture129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the ratchet Idea was not mine so I wont take credit for it.. But thanks.. and it really does solve the issue of handle placement..

Looks like your pic is dead, or I cant see it anyway..

Clever idea, but it is a lot easier to weld an old 1/2" drive socket to the pinion and attach a long handle ratchet wrench to the socket.

Randy

I really like that ratcheting mod. Definitely going to have to do that to mine. I've seen people adapt drill chucks to the end of the arbor to allow easier holding of different size pins but I always though it might take up too much valuable space on these small presses.

I love the idea of changeable upper dies.

I have a part I make which requires a number of press operations, I've been playing with the idea of putting four 1/2" holes (to hold the lower units) and changing the upper units of the operations, running 10 or 20 pieces through each operation then changing the upper die and running the second operation, etc. My press is already bored to .501 to accommodate the upper dies.

There is a locking collar on the other side of the pinion, keep is loose of off to remove the pinion and preposition it when needed. No tooth extractions needed! :)

That is a very neat idea. I don't have my arbor press mounted to the table so it is a pain to have the handle positioned vertically when I need to apply some pressure to it. Thanks for posting that.
NodakGary

I keep my 1 ton Grizzly press C-clamped to the table when it's in use. otherwise it lives under the work bench. Another mod, I've mounted a block of Aluminum to the back of the top of the ram, drilled and tapped it for a 5/16 threaded rod to use as a depth stop. If I'm bending a number of pieces of music wire, I can maintain a consistent angle that way. Yes, there's a set screw on the threaded rod to keep it from wandering.

Back