My Ar10 Build

Here's a little more of the handguard. Between the vents at 90 degree intervals I cut with a dovetail cutter so to leave a .500" wide section.
WP_20160328_18_12_31_Pro.jpg

Drilled 1/16" holes in the corners of the triangle vents.
WP_20160330_16_49_18_Pro.jpg

Cut the 2 long sides using a slitting saw, the short side with a 1/8" end mill. The angle was done by tilting the head 15 degrees and coming from the front. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel to finish removing the vent sections.
WP_20160404_17_30_30_Pro.jpg

I cut .020" DOC over the vent area using a 3/16" end mill the 15" length repeating every 2 degrees. That leaves a bunch of flats that are .034" wide. A little sanding over those areas will blend it well.
WP_20160408_16_32_24_Pro.jpg

Additional pictures will follow. I started filing to finish the triangles.
Dave

Okay the handguard is almost finished. Just need to file near the muzzle end where I had it held and had to remove it to file. A bit of sanding and sand blasting would help as well. I couldn't help myself so here is a test fit with the upper and barrel. The gas block is hiding in there as well.
WP_20160420_18_50_05_Pro.jpg

I made my own gas block, brake and thread protector.
WP_20160420_18_51_15_Pro.jpg

Here's a picture of the muzzle end of the barrel.
WP_20160313_10_59_21_Pro.jpg

I video'd the process of chambering and turning the barrel. I'm working on getting the video edited/shortened and will post when it is put together.
Dave

Last edited:
Completed the Cerakoting. MagPul FDE is pretty dark so I did the plastic parts as well so they match better. Have the pistol grip, hand guard, barrel nut and butt stock in FDE with everything else in black.
WP_20160624_21_31_51_Pro.jpg
Oh yeah, made pivot and take down pins too.

Last edited:
Furniture turned out nice Dave. Great looking forward guard, one of a kind.

Sweet! Can't wait to see it assembled.
R

I love your work! AR10 is one of the best shooting platforms

Thank you for the kind words guys!

I love your work! AR10 is one of the best shooting platforms

One change I think I would make is to cut the handguard with a 1/8" end mill and leave the corners rounded. I couldn't get the point as crisp as i thought was possible. What other calibers do you use it for? I know 243 is just a barrel change.
Dave

You could have drilled the corners and cut to them as well. I think rounded corners lessen the chance for cracks, but yours turned out really good.

What other calibers? Oh wow! That opens up a hole new thread. Anything that has the same OAL and bolt face size as the 308 is fair game. I think my next one will be the new .338 Federal. Or maybe a .358 Winchester, just because I have a boatload of .358' bullets. But anything on 308 brass is good. Plus the 6.5 Creedmore, as well as some hotshot wildcats like the 444 Marlin rimless, or some based on the WSM cases... The possibilities are limitless.

Back