My Ar10 Build

dave2176

Active User
Registered
I decided I "needed" an AR10 in .308. From what I understand, and opposite of the AR15 platform the sporting round has a potential of higher pressure than the NATO 7.62x51 round. With that I purchased a .308 2015 finish reamer from PTG. It took about 10 or 11 weeks and 1 phone call for the reamer to arrive.

I waffled on doing this with an 80% because of pricing but was concerned that this platform seems to have some variations between manufactures that result in trouble matching upper and lower receivers. In the end I settled on a set of receivers and BCG from Aero Precision and I have a friend who is a dealer for them. I chose the American Sniper model because it saved about $50 because it was a blem. My order was delayed because it wasn't in stock and they had to manufacture it. Not sure how you manufacture a blem on purpose but we couldn't find one.
WP_20160410_18_09_56_Pro.jpg

I decided on FDE furniture. A LuthAR fixed stock and a unbranded grip. I'll be making my handguard. As you can see something is going to get painted to match. FDE is a bit lighter than Magpul's FDE color.
WP_20160410_18_11_10_Pro.jpg

Dave

Have fun with this. I too built a AR-10 style and used the Juggernaut upper, 80% lower and forend to make sure I didn't have any issues with incompatibilities between different vendor's designs.

Congrats. My AR10s have become my favorite shooters on range day. Makes it feel like the AR15s should have "Mattel" stamped on them. The only compatibility problems I'm aware of is the Armalite vs DPMS style uppers and lowers. DPMS has the radius cut at the buffer like we're used to seeing and the Armalite has a straight angle.

Here's a chart on some of the parts. AR-10 chart.jpg

Hope you enjoy building and shooting yours as much as I do mine. I love the FDE furniture BTW. Can't wait to see the hand guard.

Here's a little spoiler. 40 vents over 15". Holding the paper to the aluminum with 3M #77 spray adhesive.

Hey, now THAT'S a build! Your own handguard design? That's far better than the typical Lego build. Good on you!

My order was delayed because it wasn't in stock and they had to manufacture it. Not sure how you manufacture a blem on purpose but we couldn't find one.

These processes are so automated, now, that if they're out machining 500 receivers, they already know they'll get 5 or 10 imperfect ones. It might not be a 'blem' like a nick or scratch, it might be a wall thickness or hole location or thread tolerance on the buffer tube. Anything, really. Still plenty useful.

I waffled on doing this with an 80% because of pricing but was concerned that this platform seems to have some variations between manufactures that result in trouble matching upper and lower receivers.

It's possible i'm gonna open a huge stinking can of worms with this, but receiver fitment is an awful lot of voodoo and superstition when it comes to gun accuracy. Sometimes propagated by suppliers and factories that really ought to know better, but then again, profits are profits.

The Stoener design is elegant in that the upper and lower receiver interface structurally with two pins. That's it. Two pins. If those two pins are right, the gun is right. If they're not, no amount of plastic wedging or shimming or magic trigger bushings will fully compensate.

Unlike 99% of the AR commentary out there, you have machinery and know-how. So anything short of "factory matched receivers" (or even if they are), can be located, clamped, and bored to exact fitment, if you so desire.

Personally, for .30cal, i'd think it to be worth it.

Wrat

Unlike 99% of the AR commentary out there, you have machinery and know-how. So anything short of "factory matched receivers" (or even if they are), can be located, clamped, and bored to exact fitment, if you so desire.

Personally, for .30cal, i'd think it to be worth it.

Wrat

Because we have machinery, there is no excuse for NOT having a hand-fitted bespoke rifle!

Last edited:
I recently finished an 80% AR10. I really like it. For accuracy, my feeling is that the barrel and trigger should be first quality. I have a Timney trigger and I am very pleased.
erCg0nSKoyC5SdMS0tqg4-RH65qNg8xa8XwTRVgAHsqIHYWqsidD6I7XFsY3Qw-oJO9ToVluHBxO9eZND=w1902-h1075-no.jpg
The machining of this fire control pocket is not perfect but if you saw the mill I did it on you would be impressed!

5Emfc6auy40KubyG8l1Ckv6Sw1FOrsOHthUL71nVbdKaBF42jHKhmPduTg7AianupTt2hCQbRJkNPxa2Q=w1902-h1075-no.jpg

Keep us posted with pics.
Oh yeah. Its based on the DPMS platform. I left my lower unfinished and I think it looks great with the other hardware.
Robert

erCg0nSKoyC5SdMS0tqg4-RH65qNg8xa8XwTRVgAHsqIHYWqsidD6I7XFsY3Qw-oJO9ToVluHBxO9eZND=w1902-h1075-no.jpg

5Emfc6auy40KubyG8l1Ckv6Sw1FOrsOHthUL71nVbdKaBF42jHKhmPduTg7AianupTt2hCQbRJkNPxa2Q=w1902-h1075-no.jpg

Last edited:
Robert,
Is your barrel stainless? I like the unfinished look but won't the aluminum start looking dingy from oxidation without something to protect it?
Dave

The barrel is stainless and fluted. The aluminum is now about 2 years old and looks fine. I don't really get it in weather. My original plan was Cerokote in an aluminum color but I liked it better just plain.
R

That looks great. I like the two tone as well, goes with the stainless barrel. I think Cerakote or Duracoat (or one of the other finishes) comes in clear as well. Might be worth a look.

Back