My $100 compressor

Nice find... Like the breather... Make sure you mark the filter size or year/make on the thing so as you age and forget like the rest of us, you'll know what it is :blue:.
How big is that tank? Looks like a beast.

For safety, just be sure the tank is in good shape.
It can be difficult to tell externally if it was used with a low-pressure, drain plug.

I have inspected one with a bore scope just to be sure there was no rust hiding inside.
The other way is with a water pressure test, since it does not compress it does not explode if the tank is weak.....but that takes some extra tools.

-brino

Good idea to inspect it. The sell tiny cameras for your phone around six bucks and up. Ebay or amazon, have you run it yet. If you can get an auto drain for the tank , or use a routine of draining it daily. I have one on mine but still installed a ball valve drain besides no electric left on in my shop so I drain down the air in the winter.

Last edited:
Looks But I would of used a FORD breather.:laughing:
I hate to waste good flathead parts on something like this. For now they are being saved for other projects, truck maybe.
As for testing the tank, I ran it up to 160 psi outside let I sit a few hours. Then I backed the pressure switch off to 130. I think that will be adequate for my use. General shop and occasional cabinet blaster. And I failed to mention that my cousin got me a salvaged auto bleeder to take care of the tank condensate.
Dave

Back