Must Have Mill Machine Accessories For A Beginner?

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Last edited:
Okay... :encourage: order placed:

418-4510 3X2-1/2X2 WEB END ANGLE PLATE 2
418-4720 4-1/2X3-1/2X3 OPEN END ANGLE PLATE 2
505-4543 1 X 1/2 X 1-3/4 U.S.A. KANT-TWIST CLAMP 2
505-4544 2X1 1/8X1 1/4 U.S.A. KANT-TWIST CLAMP 2
505-4546 3X1 1/4X1 3/4 U.S.A. KANT-TWIST CLAMP 2
505-4547 4 1/2X2 1/4X3 U.S.A. KANT-TWIST CLAMP 2
891-5797 4.0" OAL GRIP HANDLES 2
MN328-1923 1/2" SHANK SPRING CENTER
307-0205 FINE LINE WHT DYKEM MARKING PENS 1
307-0207 FINE LINE ORG DYKEM MARKING PENS 1
619-2912 BROAD WHITE DYKEM BRIT TIP PNT MARKER 1
619-2913 BROAD ORANGE DYKEM BRIT TIP PNT MARKER 1

You may already have this but I didn't see it...

Get yourself a couple of decent drill chucks. A keyless chuck for drilling, and a keyed chuck like a Jacobs for tapping. Don't skimp on these because drilling is an operation you will do all the time, maybe even moreso than milling. I would also recommend getting some of these type of clamps:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/3122877

(no affiliation to the company, just used their picture). I use these a great deal for drilling operations or temporary workholding on the mill until I can get things securely clamped. They are my go-to clamp.

Paul.

You may already have this but I didn't see it...

Get yourself a couple of decent drill chucks. A keyless chuck for drilling, and a keyed chuck like a Jacobs for tapping. Don't skimp on these because drilling is an operation you will do all the time, maybe even moreso than milling. I would also recommend getting some of these type of clamps:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/3122877

(no affiliation to the company, just used their picture). I use these a great deal for drilling operations or temporary workholding on the mill until I can get things securely clamped. They are my go-to clamp.

Paul.

The machine came with a chuck (Drill chuck 3–16mm with B16 taper/Drill chuck arbor B16 x R8). But I do want to get a keyless chuck. Accepting brand recommendations... might as well get a good one (but one that will not break the bank please! :) )

There is thread on Enco having a 20% discount today and got me thinking... I just bought my G0704... What else should I get to start??

What are the must have accessories for a beginner?

I am thinking:
Edge finder
End mill set
Combined double end drill/countersink bits

I have ordered so far:
4" Lock Down Precision Milling CNC Machine Vise No Base
.030" Dial Test Indicator High Precision 0.0005" Graduation 0-15-0 White Face
1/8" HIGH PRECISION MACHINIST PARALLEL SET .0002 STEEL 10 PAIR THIN PARALLELS
11 PC R8 Collet Set 1/8" to 3/4" Fractional High Precision
58 PC PRO-SERIES 1/2" T-SLOT CLAMPING KIT MILL MACHINIST SET 3/8-16
2 MATCHED PAIRS ULTRA PRECISION 1-2-3 BLOCKS 23 HOLES .0001" MACHINIST 123
Niagara Cutter N39260 High Speed Steel (HSS) Square Nose End Mill, Inch, Weldon Shank, TiN Finish, Roughing and Finishing Cut, 30 Degree Helix, 4 Flutes, 3.125" Overall Length, 0.813" Cutting Diameter, 0.750" Shank Diameter
Drill America DWCF Series High-Speed Steel End Mill, Polished Finish, 4 Flute, Square End, 1-1/2" Cutting Length, 3/8" Cutting Diameter, 3-1/4" Length, 3/8" Shank
Steelex M1096 Fly Cutter Set with Tool Bits

Consider a simple part stop. There photos and plans on the web. You be surprised even one part the temptation to remove it for inspection or deburring. God luck

Drill chucks. the one that came with my PM25 is about 3/4 shorter than the same size keyless chuck I had purchased, less cranking up to change.... I don't use the Keyless any more. If I had another couple of keyed chucks, I could change between ctr drill, drill and tap more easily I guess changing tools with the chuck key or the drawbar may be a wash, same time/amount of work.

I bought a set of ER32 collets and chuck to minimize having to raise and lower the head for tool changes. The chuck has a R8 shank which installs as usual then different size collets install in the chuck. It makes changing from a 3/8 to 1/2 endmill much faster and requires less room as the ER32 collet is much shorter than an r8 collet. I think they also hold better, at least with my r8 collets. Cuts down on how often you will have to mess with the drawbar.

Consider a simple part stop. There photos and plans on the web. You be surprised even one part the temptation to remove it for inspection or deburring. God luck

? Let me look that up. Not sure what that is....

I bought a set of ER32 collets and chuck to minimize having to raise and lower the head for tool changes. The chuck has a R8 shank which installs as usual then different size collets install in the chuck. It makes changing from a 3/8 to 1/2 endmill much faster and requires less room as the ER32 collet is much shorter than an r8 collet. I think they also hold better, at least with my r8 collets. Cuts down on how often you will have to mess with the drawbar.

I like those. I already have a set of collets, so I will start with these while I get use to the machine. I will note this down in the wish list for now. Thank you.

Most of the stuff arrived today. I will get some material tomorrow to start practicing before I modify the brake caliper.

23fc6ad1-890e-4476-8085-87785cdc465f_zpsrvxzpjz3.jpg

Back