MTA4 morse taper

Moper361

Registered
Registered
Ive been searching for a new collet chuck ER40 with MTA4 12m draw bar
My mill is MT4 and all the MTA4 tappers i have are all 12m drawbar .However after searching for hours online it seems all MTA4 morse stuff seems to have 16M or 5/8 Drawbar sizes ?.This would not be an issue but i cannot fit M16 or 5/8 Drawbar in my Mill.

At tbe momment im using a ER40 MTA3 With a MT3 to MTB4 adaptor but i cannot use a draw bar with this set up as as the MTA4 does not have a draw bar hole .I thought about drilling and tapping the MTB4 out but this still leaves the MT3 to come loose from the adaptor.

Has anyone had this problem before and any good ideas for a solution much appreciated .

In the picture you can see the MTA3 on the collet chuck and MTA4 tappers are all 12mm size.
I May have my a and bs around the wrong way I'm not sure sorry if I have

1508055967603-960824493.jpg1508056079254-2030652153.jpg

Last edited:
Can you drill a 12mm hole through the mt4 adapter to thread into the mt3 shank and still be able to remove the mt4 sleeve later?

Can you drill a 12mm hole through the mt4 adapter to thread into the mt3 shank and still be able to remove the mt4 sleeve later?
I did look at doing this and using a longer drawbar my worry is getting the adaptor out later as if i drill it out the adaptor therr wont be much left to use tool remover to get it out after its still and option tho

Write your reply...I think the material would be to hard. I think it is heat treated, but I have never tried it. Just give it a go and see what happens, but go slow. If you can file it and it makes a little groove,you would be able to machine it.

This is if machinabilaty is your concern.

I did look at doing this and using a longer drawbar my worry is getting the adaptor out later as if i drill it out the adaptor therr wont be much left to use tool remover to get it out after its still and option tho
I see what your worry is after having another look at the pictures. Yes I don't think there would be much metrial left after a hole has been drilled.

I see what your worry is after having another look at the pictures. Yes I don't think there would be much metrial left after a hole has been drilled.
My further thought is split the adaptor tapper after drilling it out so it is easy to remove once the mt3 is removed not sure if this would work or not or weather it would loose its grip it maybe okay with draw bar tight

Write your reply...I think the material would be to hard. I think it is heat treated, but I have never tried it. Just give it a go and see what happens, but go slow. If you can file it and it makes a little groove,you would be able to machine it.

This is if machinabilaty is your concern.
Quite possibly to hard to machine but could cut the end of to allow access to mt3 drawbar hole then spit the tapper to make easy removal it all seems a bit butcherish but thinknit would work

Make a 12mm x 16mm threaded adaptor (12mm ID and 16mm OD) then you can use a 12mm drawbar.

Back