Mt2 ==> Mt3 Adapter (step Up, Not Down)

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone ever used one of these? I was given some NOS MT3 Cleveland twist drills, and my QC54 tailstock is MT2. I know I'll have to keep the feed rate down, but I expect this should be fine.

Comments? Experience? Thoughts?

My old lathe had an MT2 tail stock, the step up adaptor i have was rediculously heavy and long, although that was quite handy for some difficult situations when I neaded more reach to get over the sadle it never felt totaly groovy maybe a little prone to sagging, and made the tail stock more difficult to slide up and down the lathe bed because it wanted to tip forward when the nut was lossened.

If you have a lot of drills might be worthwile though . My old lathe was a 9x20 so the tail stock wasn't massive and the addaptor i have is quite long. I was thinking of getting a 3 to 2 sleve for it to use just as an extender in my mt3 tailstock :)

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, that is what I am thinking as well. The set starts at 0.500 and goes to 1.000 by 64ths. I couldn't believe the guy just gave them to me.....he was going to throw them in with a pile of scrap he was taking to the salvage yard :( . They were all still in the wax wrap and boxes.........ie. NOS.

Thanks Stuart, that is what I am thinking as well. The set starts at 0.500 and goes to 1.000 by 64ths. I couldn't believe the guy just gave them to me.....he was going to throw them in with a pile of scrap he was taking to the salvage yard :( . They were all still in the wax wrap and boxes.........ie. NOS.

Thats a pritty awsome score, :)

Drilling big ish holes might be ok as the size of the drills will help suport it a bit.

My main droop issues were with using an Mt3 chuck and center drills , being taper shank you will be a good deal shorter than that and you will already have a starter hole for the drill to centre in.

Stuart

I have one I use on my 12" Craftsman Commercial Lathe and works great.
I only have a few of the MT3 Larger Drills but they come in handy when drilling the 1" or over holes.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have already taken the chuck out of my drill press, and it is MT2, so this adapter will have to be used on it as well.

Another option would be to turn the shanks down to MT2
Either that or turn down the shanks to 1/2" or 3/4". I have a near full set of drills from 1/2" to 1" that most of them were turned down to 1/2" shank. Back years ago when S & D shank drill bits were not as popular as they used to be in the beginning, we always took taper shank drills and turned down the shanks to some dimension as 1/2" and used them that way. Ken

Interesting thought. So, can someone answer this. These are HSS and no doubt heat treated. Wouldn't the MT3 taper have to be ground vs. machined? I would also think that so that the finish is appropriately smooth as well. I have a Dumore tool post grinder, so I could certainly consider that. I have already purchased the MT3==>MT2 adaptor, so that part is complete. Obviously, there are options. I think at this juncture, I'll kick the tires on the adaptor. If it mis-behaves, I'll look into possibly grinding the MT3 to MT2. That is definitely a cold winter project......

Back