MT#3 Drill Chuck Recommendations?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I am making a aluminum 4" dia hand wheel for the SB Fourteen lathe that will allow the reeves pulley to be adjusted.So I started turning the OD for the part of the hand wheel for a shaft.Next I wanted to drill a hole for the shaft so I look for my drill chuck but couldn't find it.Dang,I don't have one so this project is on hold till I get one.
Guys I am looking for some recommendations for a drill chuck,so I look on ebay for maybe a good used one and the no name drill chucks are all over the place and lots of Jacobs.Guys I can't spend 250.00 for a new/used one but I would like to find one that will hold a bit and can be easily remove without a hammer and chisel.What would you buy with limited funds that will do the job???Thanks guys for the help----krollDSC03333.JPG

I purchased an Albrecht style 1/2" keyless chuck and MT3 arbor from Grizzly for a little over $50 some three years ago. I have not had any issues with it.

The tang should unseat the chuck when the quill is retracted. I actually cut the tang off to give my more travel before unseating at about .05" before full retraction.

Drill chucks are nice.
A cheap and quick fix is to make end mill type holders using the primary drill shank sizes.
This hobby doesn't require huge expenditures. That doesn't mean that a chuck isn't super helpful for all kinds of reasons.

Reason why I continue to make these cheap guy noises: I believe we have a silent and drifting membership who are interested, but lack the finances to fund all the misc toys that some of us are able to enjoy.

Daryl
MN

I share my mt3 draw bar drill chuck with my lathe, I put a piece of all thread in the draw bar thread so it ejects when the tail stock is retracted, works quite well and can be screwed in to minimize wasted tail stock travel :)

I recently made an arbor for a drill chuck from a broken power drill as I noticed it was a name brand quite good chuck, most have a threaded mount, quite easy to knock one up to go into a morse taper or adapt an existing morse taper thing.

Stuart.

Back