moving the saddle forward

1mondo

Registered
Registered
Hi
Well before I get into tearing the old girl apart "AGAIN" I thought I would check if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution was! The Y axis is where the problem is.
Problem seems to be getting worse! When I crank the saddle back (TOWARD THE COLUMN) it cranks super easily, but when cranking forward (TOWARD THE OPERATOR) it takes all of my strength and both hands to bring the table forward!! The one shot oiler seems to be working fine. I'm wondering if the problem might be in the chip plates binding together. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Ray

Tom's comment reminded me..... My Lathe has a "Push/Pull" gib on the cross-slide, with adjusting/lock screws on both ends. Once when the back screw got loose (or I likely I forgot to tighten), I notice something similar. Easy to move in, harder to move out.

THANKS GUYS
I haven't checked the gib yet but will get to that tomorrow! As for the push/pull gib I do not have that on my mill. I messed with it a bit today and found out that if I tighten/loosen the dial lock ring on the Y crank it makes a ton of difference and cranking becomes almost manageable. Maybe I have a lead screw split nut problem going on. When I got the mill I tore it down to bare bones and started over. I did buy new split nuts and installed them.Maybe the mill gremlin is in there messing with things??
Thanks again
Ray

When you crank in, the frictional force is pushing the lead screw out and add clearance at the thrust bearing. When you crank out, it pulls the lead screw in reducing clearance on the lead screw thrust bearing. You might want to take a close look at the thrust bearing and any mating parts. It is possible that you have some galling which is causing the binding.

Also, when you tighten an adjustment nut, it is pushed to the outside of the thread. When you tighten the dial lock nut, it takes up any clearance in the thread, push the adjustment nut in and reducing clearance.

Back