Moving Heavy Machines By Yourself.

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
This is how I moved a piece of a heavy machine (a knee mill) into my basement safely and by myself, This method could be used for many other types of machines. But first I will show you the most important part of the whole method and I built it on the cheap too! A receiver mounted 12v off road winch and the mount. Just build the mount, or by one if you don't have access to a welder and the materials and tools to do it your self. All heavy wall steel and an 8" heavy channel for the base. 2" x 1/4" square tube for the receiver mount. I built this winch mount to move this piece of equipment but I will use it for other things as well now.
Here's a few pics of the winch mount build.
Started with bending some heavy wall tubing for the ends to use as protectors and carrying handles. They are 3 pieces, sleeved and welded together. I then ground them smooth with a 4" grinder and sanding pad.
12-21-16 phone pics 789.jpg
most of the parts except the channel for the base.
12-21-16 phone pics 795.jpg
All welded up and ready for paint. You could powder coat it too but I did it on the cheap. I salvaged all of the materials.
12-21-16 phone pics 798.jpg
View from the rear
12-21-16 phone pics 800.jpg
It fits my truck nice, clearance all around.
12-21-16 phone pics 802.jpg
And I can even open the tailgate with the winch on the truck. When I don't need the winch I can remove it in a few seconds and store it in the garage out of the weather.
12-21-16 phone pics 803.jpg
All painted up.
20161224_194703_001_01.jpg
And with the winch installed. It's heavy but I can pick it up by the handles and carry it by myself and remove and install it. It would be really easy with a helper.
20161226_133239_001_01.jpg
It's just a harbor freight 12,000 lb winch. Got decent reviews in the off road mags, best bargain in winching.
I wouldn't leave it out in the weather, but that's another purpose of the removable mount. Plus if you have a trailer multiple mounts could be placed on the trailer easy. I got it on a black Friday sale for $279, they are on sale all the time for $299. I will use this winch for other things, like loading logs on a trailer, etc.

And here is a you tube video that shows the whole operation and set up. It's 22 minutes long but you just might get some good ideas from this. It shows some heavy angle iron castor mounts I made and bolted them to the machine to make moving it easy. And how I got it off the trailer by myself as well.

Last edited:
Nice job on the winch mount, and congrats on the mill score. I have a similar 12k winch, and made up a 3 position mounting system for the 14k trailer and have used it a lot. Very handy thing to have. Cheers, Mike

Nice job on the winch mount , shop looks nice too I like the overhead crane

Nice job on the winch mount , shop looks nice too I like the overhead crane
The crane is at my work, I work as a truck driver for a roll forming company. The work building has three long bays and cranes are used to move and load the machines with the metal stock for roll forming. There are 5 cranes in the building.

Back