Moving a vertical mill....need ideas

Ok...here's what craziness I've come up with. LOL. As it turns out, the base doesn't come off this thing...she's one big block of cast iron. We're going to load it with a forklift into the back of my buddies 3/4 ton, setting it on a couple sheets of plywood and strapping the daylights out of it....and yes, drive like a 110 year old lady with a box of nitro glycerine balancing on the side view mirror. :)

Another friend is getting a crane truck from work...we'll lift it out of the truck with that and set it on a hand truck (pump truck - pallet jack - whatever you want to call it.) With 4 guys around it and one steering, we'll move it into it's new home. Then, with the engine crane in the 1000 lb position (yea, the mill is 1200 lb but I need the extra few inches for clearance on the front of the machine...it should be fine) we'll lift it straight up, 1/4" off the hand truck and pull it out from under it...then 3 inches straight down to the floor from there.

The frustrating part is, I work for a heavy equipment/forklift dealer. We deal in everything from hand trucks up to 200,000lb sea can handlers that will pick up 135,000 sea cans. I walked our entire yard full of new and used equipment, measuring every forklift mast (about 20 of them) that had a collapsed mast height that could possibly fit in my garage door....no joy....the closest I could get was still 1/2" to 1" too tall, and it had solid rubber tires on it so letting a little air out wasn't even an option. We'll have to wait until the Saturday after next to find out if my plan works since that's the next time we can grab the crane truck. I've already paid for the mill, so one way or the other, it's coming home that day and going in the garage. If all else fails, I'll tarp it in the driveway and call up an old buddy of mine and fly him into town...he's 6' 8" and 390 lbs last I heard. Ex football crusher type. He's just rock-n-walk it in there. LOL. He almost single-handedly moved a 420 lb wood stove down my basement steps. He's a handy friend to have. :)

Wish me luck guys ! I'll post pics of "the event".

Back