Moving a mill

This model mill has a Yaskawa VFD converter. It has variable speed with reverse. So nice for tapping!

I believe I am settling on the Grizzly G0678 smaller knee mill. It looks like a nice beefy mill for my needs.
However, it's just under 1000 pounds. The mill will be going into my basement. It's not an easy access basement as the back basement door into my little shop is on a lower level than the driveway. I would have to go down 8 pressure treated wooden stairs to get there, onto dirt. Inside via the kitchen/basement door is out of the question. So I am curious, can this G0678 mill be easily disassembled/re-assembled? If so, what would you guesstimate the heaviest component weight to be?

I have a G0730. I considered the smaller brethren when I bought the G0730 and figured the extra nose height was at lest as important as the extra weight.
a) the top comes off easily but an engine hoist is still recommended to lift it safely. 2 people can carry this down the stairs. But secure it with tackle for everyone's safety.
b) the x-axis and y-axis come off not very difficult--just don't for get the travel limiters. Heavy but 2 personable. But secure it with tackle for everyone's safety.
c) this should be over 1/2 of the weight and what is left (500-odd pounds) should not be that difficult to engine hoist (at least 1 ton) through the door, lay on its back (about 45º) to slide down a couple of wooden stair protectors to the basement using tackle to slide is slowly and under complete control.

Oh, and BTW, I enjoy this mill immensely.

I bought a similar mill about a year ago. Found it down the road at an estate sale, $400.00. And I got a Hardinge dividing head and a 12 x18 surface plate to sweeten the deal. The dividing head is worth more than the mill. Anyway... I didn't have to move it down a flight of stairs, but I did have to move it down the road. When I removed the mill, I disassembled it in this order: motor, head, table and finally saddle. I left the knee on the column, as weight wasn't my concern, just the center of gravity. I wanted the weight lower. I winched it up on a drop deck trailer and put all the other components in the bed of the truck. The motor, head, table and saddle were all able to be lifted in a truck bed by two people. I used a engine hoist to remove everything from the truck myself and left the base and column on the trailer. It sat like that in my yard for a few months while I completed my shop. I used the engine hoist to reassemble everything by myself, no problem. I don't have any weight estimates for the pieces. I would google moving machinery into a basement and see how others have done it. Since you have outdoor access i would consider getting a small electric winch, attaching it to your truck and slowly lower it down the stairs after building a track to match a skid you strap the machine to. I recently moved a hot tub up stairs to a 2nd story deck using a similar method, tying off to a large tree and pulling it up the stairs. Used a $70.00 Harbor Freight winch, and had to lower it once when it started to come off the skid, so I know it works well lowering a load too.
Good luck!

View attachment 332583 Found a picture of the mill when it was loaded on the trailer.
View attachment 332586
You don't still have the dividing head, do you? Is it the little guy that would work on my BB4?

John

Yes, I still have it, and I'm keeping it. It's very useful.
Nice, was worth a try ;)

You taught me a lot about moving machines back when I got that awful Bolton. Now have a 12x36 and 3/4 Bridgeport clone in my little shop. Also the BB4 that I hope to set up for gear cutting.

I may end up building a stepper driven dividing head but will still be on the lookout for an original Hardinge.

I’m working in Scotts Valley now so if you’re free some time we could grab lunch.

John

Nice, was worth a try ;)

You taught me a lot about moving machines back when I got that awful Bolton. Now have a 12x36 and 3/4 Bridgeport clone in my little shop. Also the BB4 that I hope to set up for gear cutting.

I may end up building a stepper driven dividing head but will still be on the lookout for an original Hardinge.

I’m working in Scotts Valley now so if you’re free some time we could grab lunch.

John
Sounds good, my schedule is usually pretty open. I am heading to Oregon for a 10 day vacation next week, I'll contact you when i get back.

Back