Moving a K.O. Lee Surface Grinder

Madhattan

Registered
Registered
I just purchased a K.O. Lee Surface Grinder s718 and now I have to move it 100+ miles to the shop (see attached photo). I've been looking for a surface grinder I could afford for years and finally found one. Is there anything I should know before I attempt to lift it? I was thinking of blocking it up in the corners and building a pallet under it. Do I need to remove anything to protect the machine while on the road? Hydraulics? Jack points? Lift points? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• LG9277.JPG
    LG9277.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 79
Many would suggest removing the table and cranking the wheeelhead down and resting it on a block of wood, do not try to lift under the saddle, I had a KO Lee cutter grinder, someone did that and some damage was done. The table should just lift or slide off, generally there is nothing holding them down, you may want to pump most of the hydraulic oil out into buckets, lest it slop out onto the road on the trip home.

So you don't think those slots on the base are for lifting?

I have a KO Lee grinder like yours.
There are slots on the base for lifting.
The front hole is partially blocked by hydraulic plumbing but a bar still fits.
I believe I have 1 inch round bars. On the right side the magnet control is mounted and I hung the bar out about six inches past it. I did not remove the table and in the industrial world they seldom do.
We center the table and use the table stops, bungies straps keep the table from bouncing. bring the cross slide in and place a block of wood between the spindle housing and the chuck/table. I like to disconnect the hoses from the machine and they made it easy.
Make sure the cabinet and grinder bolts have NOT been removed
I posted most of the documentation for that machine about a year ago.
Does it have the coolant tank?

When i moved my surface grinder there were one inch rods that went through holes it the top of the cabinet just under the grinder castings that were the lift points. They were located right where the oval cut outs are on your grinder. Would be helpful if you could find manual. If lifted from the base of the cabinet it is top heavy and could tumble.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses to my question! You gave me loads of great information. I did find a bit about lifting in the manual (attached. Great suggestion... rtfm heh). I created a tentative pallet design that I plan to build under the machine once I get it lifted (attached). I assume that K. O. Lee changed from lift holes in the base to lift rectangles to accommodate straps.

As per suggestion I plan to remove the table before transport. I found this useful note in the electrical setup pages, "HYDRAULIC MACHINES ONLY To Remove Table: Move to the extreme left, disconnect knob from the piston shaft right end of table. Move table to clear the shaft end, remove the table, fill the base way oil tubes. Hydraulic table ways are self-lubricated."

Attachments

• Lifting.png
    Lifting.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Pallet.png
    Pallet.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 50
I now have the S718HG set down in my shop! Woot! Looks like I'll need to go through it top to bottom. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it should be fun. Is it possible to determine the year a K.O.Lee Surface Grinder was manufactured by the serial number?

Back