Move 3800-Pound Lathe in Penske Truck?

Dabbler, don't put the eyebolts through the side of the container. They will probably pull through. Drill through the floor at a cross-member or use the anchor points already in the container.

I've been selling containers for over ten years. I very familiar with them.
I'm assuming you might be talking about old ones.
How much are they going for down your way?
Been dreaming about getting a 20'er to put by the shop and move all the wood related tools into it.

An unrecognized issue isn't being addressed. Height is a no-no when rigging, every inch costs something, including tiedowns and center of gravity 'COG'. A drop [best] or tilt deck [usable] is a good start. Forklifts aggravate COG, when every machine has high COG anyway. Add the slippery surface of the forks, unless you have a sheet of interlock [rubber bonded plywood] that is trouble from word go. I toe jack for rollers or skates, and winch or pinch bar where I want to be. BTW; purchase two 60" pinch bars, and 2-3 30" prybars. Not a HF fan, but theirs are working well, even for a critical user. Jokingly, I call them chopsticks; because one is kind of useless. About rollers; more jacking needed but wood peeler cores work incredibly well over less than perfect surfaces, right over and absorbing little stones. 5 is a good minimum. They rarely are perfectly straight, no issue.
This brake weighs 2400+ lbs [calculated] heavy parts 5 feet high; did it on peelers into my 5' x 10' 3500 tiltbed. A boat winch on receiver tube is uber-useful. Note 'joists' tying pedestals together, and narrow footprint. No good locations for tiedown hooks, so looped slip-hooked chains with carpeting dunnage. Drove a rough 25 miles, rechecked bindings and completed 600 mile trip.
rigged_brake.JPG
Seeing the move is completed, good on you for investigating and selecting the most reasonable combination of solutions. DO NOT let that induce confidence in the next move, only the process. We are not pros, not pro equipped, not pro manned, not pro experienced, not pro insured . . .Unless buying multiple identical items, picked up same location, equal weather, driving same route etc, every time is different.

Last edited:
@middle.road 20 footers go for 2K in top shape 'once trip' or 'Excellent +' You can get 20s for 1200-1500 with a little rust but good seals. I've never seen one for less than 1000.

I got a genius tip from one of the riggers. Loading and unloading are very expensive. Even if you rent a forklift, you will pay close to a grand for a job like this, and riggers will charge nearly $4K. You can avoid this by buying a trailer mounted on air bags. They are not cheap, but then look what I paid.

These things have platforms that drop down so low they're a little over an inch higher than the ground. You can put a lathe on skates and push it onto the platform. Forget about the forklift.

Why was this a genius tip from the riggers but not so in posts #6 and #7 in this thread?

@middle.road 20 footers go for 2K in top shape 'once trip' or 'Excellent +' You can get 20s for 1200-1500 with a little rust but good seals. I've never seen one for less than 1000.
They're asking US$2200.00 down here for 'well used'. That's what I came up with after two phone calls.
We saw one the other day coming home from the big city that I'll have to call on next year.
Looked like it served life as a job site 'shack'.
It has three windows on one side PLUS an HVAC unit on the front. And a large *ding* on the side. (Backhoe maybe?)
That would be perfect for 'additional' space. (IF I can get Honey to agree......) Maybe paint is camo green?

Not one picture of any aspect of the project?

Back