Mouting a 4" 3 jaw chuck on a rotary table

This thread reminded me that I had seen plates somewhere when I started making mine - my Scottish heritage (and my wife) would not allow me to go out a buy one, so I opter for the "thrifty" approach. Hey, what can I say, I'm of both Scottish and Swedish decent! Anyway, LMS has some - maybe one will work either as is or with a little modification. I found them by searching for "rotary table".

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_search.php?critFast=rotary+table&B1=Product+Search

Drill through-holes, counterbore them, to match two of your T-slots on your rotary. As mentioned above, make a plug to quickly align it on center. Someone posted a video using a plug like this. Was it Tom G? I have to look it up again now

Bernie

Thanks guys. I looked at the adapters from both LMS and Shars. I think I could make either work. I was pretty sure I had seen them before. Now I'm kind of thinking about the center pin or registration MT that Ray just posted about. That would be very handy. I'll do some more thinking and measuring. I also thought about machining my extra MT3 dead center to get the cone off and accept a bushing for the chuck hole and alignment. I'll bet that's pretty hard stuff. Anybody machined that on a light Chinese lathe? I'm also thinking this may be my chance to get a 6" 3 jaw chuck for my lathe and then not have to do this exercise again. Thanks to all for the help. I appreciate it.

John

Back