Mounting small machine tools?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a Sherline lathe, but I don't think brand really matters for this question.

I mounted the lathe to a 1/2" oak board to provide a base to it. I haven't had any noticeable issues so far, but really haven't done that much work and everything has been small where issues from the board warping wouldn't be terribly noticeable.

I've since come to realize the potential issues of using wood as a base with weather induced changes. I'm considering remounting the lathe to a piece of synthetic decking like TREX that wouldn't have issues with humidity changes. I thought I ask around first so I don't replace one potential issue that hasn't actually been an issue yet, with another.

I'm also getting a small mill (also a Sherline), which I assume will also need to be mounted to something.

Thanks

Aaron,

Be careful mounting your little machine to a thin board, What i do is to take your nice length of half inch board, and cross clead it underneath, If you can get another portion of your timber glue and screw it underneath , look at the end grain of the wood, and screw the wood up with the ring curvature's going away from each other (Looks like two rollers running against each other, That is my simplest way of explaining) This was the old patternmakers trick to prevent patterns from warping in the wet foundry sand, One of my little lathes is as your suggestion mounted on a synthetic wood product , That way I have no worries about twisting or bowing the bed.

I can easily find another use for the board it is currently attached to. Mounting it to another board in reverse is a good idea if I was set on keeping it on real wood.

When I got it I wasn't aware just how sensitive these little lathes could be to a board warping. They are quite stoutly built, but of course it takes very little movement to create a problem.

I have no issue replacing the board with a piece of 2x4 or 2x6" synthetic decking. I assumed synthetic wood wasn't subject to changes in weather like real wood, but wanted to make sure I am making a correct assumption.

Thanks

My Sherline lathe has been mounted on a piece of 3/4" Melamine-coated MDF for decades and it hasn't moved. We had this discussion before and if I were to do it again, I would mount my lathe to an aluminum extrusion. I think 80/20 might have something that will work. Something to think about.

I've mounted both my mill & lathe (Sherlines) to the top of my workbench. Workbench top is 2" solid core door with a 1/4" steel plate bolted to the top of that. I've just recently raised up the lathe (back & neck aching after a couple of hours on the lathe prompted this change), but construction is similar just with a drawer under the raised portion (note: drawer is not that deep, draw front just hides my crappy wood working skills).IMG_20170618_174115510.jpg

Hey Dave, I just noticed your belt sander has a gusset. Can you extend the gusset to back up the platen so it doesn't move around?

Exactly what sort of performance are you expecting from these machines? Attaching them to a granite surface plate of excellent flatness will not likely help in any way, they are stand alone machines.

Hey Mikey, The platen is a piece of modified angle iron 1" x 1.5" x .250" with 2 side bolts below the table holding it to the frame. the gusset you see is to keep the top of the belt wheel structure from twisting (it's cheap / thin metal). Any other suggestions? I plan on modifying the table next to make angle changes better, easier and more precise.

WreckWreck - I've made this table as stable as I thought practical as the area I live in is Adobe clay & my garage floor "floats" up / down from winter to summer as much as 2" and not always in a level fashion! I thought this might mitigate some of that movement. So far everything has remained flat & no twists to the table surface. I do have to shim the legs at times due to floor changes. And, yes it's overkill for these small machines - but I'm retired and have plenty of time to overkill most of my projects!

I need my mounts so I have something to grab when I pick 'em up and put them back on the shelf when I'm done using them.

Also, they are actually precision machines. My lathe is mounted to MDF but it is also shimmed between the lathe and base so that it cuts true. I don't think the base material matters all that much but getting the lathe level on that base? Yeah, that makes a difference.

Hey Mikey, The platen is a piece of modified angle iron 1" x 1.5" x .250" with 2 side bolts below the table holding it to the frame. the gusset you see is to keep the top of the belt wheel structure from twisting (it's cheap / thin metal). Any other suggestions? I plan on modifying the table next to make angle changes better, easier and more precise.

I was thinking that you might extend the gusset to include a mount for the platen that is not attached on one end. It has to be solid and hold the platen vertical and solid. Ideally, the platen would be removable from this backing so you can replace it at need. It would be even better if you can epoxy on a Pyroceram liner to the platen.

Back