Mounting Multiple Wheels??

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
I have a Covel Type 6 universal grinder. No fixtures other than a magnetic chuck. It came with a box of grinding wheels labeled "Carborundum Company Toolroom Sample Pack", with a broad range of wheels inside. Originally there were two of each of the most common types, which are all very narrow (5/16"?? I keep forgetting to measure). When I got it there were two 80 grit wheels mounted together to form one decent-width wheel for surface grinding (I'm sure the narrow wheels are more useful for T&C work).

Anyway, between seeing how they were mounted together and thinking about dual drum/thickness sanders for woodworking, it made me wonder if there is any sense in mounting two different grits together? Say a 60 grit and a 100 grit? Theoretically get the rough grind and the finish grind in one setup. Maybe carefully dress the rough wheel just barely smaller than the finish wheel?

I don't have any wheels of different grits of even similar diameter (at least half an inch difference between any two), so I'm not about to try this myself any time soon. I'm just wondering if this is doable or completely I'll-advised? I don't have nearly enough grinding experience to judge for myself. Thanks!

I wouldn't. Different wheel wear rates, and it just sounds dangerous.

You can however get (or make) another wheel arbor, so you can have several wheels ready to go without a lot of dressing or balancing needed between changes.

You can however get (or make) another wheel arbor, so you can have several wheels ready to go without a lot of dressing or balancing needed between changes.
Unfortunately that's not the case with this one, as far as I can tell. I uploaded the sales brochure with images in the Clausing - Colchester grinder downloads section yesterday (Clausing bought out Covel) if you want to see the design.

I would not be comfortable doing that.

Back