Motors Minimum RPM ( wrt rigid tapping )

I have to say its surprising that it has no vent holes.

I would be shocked if a TENV motor had ANY vent holes. Kinda the definition of Totally Enclosed, Non-Vented.

Nice motor, but if I blow mine up I'm getting a 2.5HP (1.8kw) servo from DMM Tech. Weighs less than half as much and a 1:2.5 pulley gets me 7500RPM. Perfect positioning and a 24vdc brake so I can use a single point tool and broach internal splines or keyways...

About $600 for the servo and drive combo.

I would be shocked if a TENV motor had ANY vent holes. Kinda the definition of Totally Enclosed, Non-Vented.

Nice motor, but if I blow mine up I'm getting a 2.5HP (1.8kw) servo from DMM Tech. Weighs less than half as much and a 1:2.5 pulley gets me 7500RPM. Perfect positioning and a 24vdc brake so I can use a single point tool and broach internal splines or keyways...

About $600 for the servo and drive combo.

So far i’ve Kind of been overwhelmed by the number of parameters that a VFD has, but on the flip side I have slowly appreciated all the settings as I tune the motor in for rigid tapping and general milling. Now I wonder if the DMM servo motor and driver combo have nearly the tunability that a VFD affords. Perhaps more? Maybe enough ? But in this journey to gain the ability of rigid tapping, one has to be able to fine tune a number of motor attributes, it appears. The absolute control in a single unit with ‘digital’ control, however is hard to beat. I imagine.... but is it fine tunable ? Maybe it’s less important, however since it’s feedback loop is absolute.

A servo motor as a spindle motor would certainly be awesome! The 1.8kw motor from DMM is only rated at 1500 RPM (3000RPM max), so gearing would need to be set for the proper RPM.... The torque would be amazing, along with the acceleration and deceleration time.

Seems to me that a servo would be easier to setup for what you're trying to do, considering the whole point of a servo precise speed and position.

PZ

I'm pretty happy. The Acorn, a $30 encoder, $5 connector, about $20 in pulleys and belts and I'm rigid tapping now. The VFD learning curve was the biggest hurdle, and taking the time to read the VFD and Acorn / Centroid manual more closely. Thanks to everyone here for the hand holding, especially Spumco. Best Regards !

Jake

Seems to me that a servo would be easier to setup for what you're trying to do, considering the whole point of a servo precise speed and position.

PZ
Maybe not for the Acorn. I've only skimmed the manual and I don't know if you are limited to PWM speed control or if you can set the spindle up as a step and direction arrangement (servo) like in some other controllers. If so, then yes - very sweet. Might even consider finding a higher speed servo from another manufacturer if the cost isn't prohibitive.

The Acorn does have a 4th axis step/direction out. I didn't read the manual for the DMM DYN4 drive, but I think you can use the PWN to control it in velocity mode, don't quote me on that though, I didn't read the manual.

I think a higher RPM option would be the ticket, but I bet the cost starts to go up quick. The DMM setup is already $700+ which is beyond what I'm willing to spend, but than again I don't have a desire to ridged tap at the moment.

Glad your setup is working Jake. You should shoot some video and post it up!

PZ

Back