Motorcycle carrier structure for 5th wheel.

Mtnmac

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not really today, but over the last week or so. Did all the machining, then had a local welder come over and weld it to the trailer. Has 3 2" hitch receivers on the back of the trailer. End result will be the center one is just for lifting/lowering, the outboard receivers carry the load. Here's a couple pictures of the parts before
and after assembly:
rack2.jpgrack.jpg
Next is making the lift mechanism. That will be telescoping square tubing, Acme thread and nuts, thrust bearings and seals. The goal is to lower the motorcycle carrier to ground level, roll the bike on, tie it down, raise it slightly above the outboard receivers using a cordless driver, slide in the outboard supports, lower the carrier and insert a couple pins. Weight will be about 500 lbs total.

Neat idea!

I'd consider a reversible boat winch for the lifting and lowering.
Something with a handle and socket drive, for the inevitable time when the cordless batteries are dead.....

I hope to see more!

-brino
My first idea was to use a trailer tongue jack, but the total travel necessary is 29", way beyond those. I'm working on the design today, will order steel and small parts tomorrow and should start on it by the end of this week. It will have a hex end on it to enable using a wrench on it if necessary.
Design parameters:
Lift 500 lbs. with a cordless drill.
Live in all kinds of weather and continue to function after years of exposure.
Weight. 10-15 lbs. is acceptable.

Finally had the first long distance test of this contraption. Went to Oregon for a dual sport motorcycle ride, then back to CA. Total mileage was about 1,000. Everything worked great, didn't noticeably affect the handling of the trailer. The trailer was level before loading the bike, with the bike it's slightly lower in back. I also made a part to keep the front suspension from being compressed for long periods, it bolts to the fork brace and allows the forks to compress about 1"IMG_7245.jpegIMG_7278.jpeg

What jack/winch/lift mechanism did you use?
Did the battery powered drill work out well?

Thanks,
Brian

What jack/winch/lift mechanism did you use?
Did the battery powered drill work out well?

Thanks,
Brian
I used a 1/2" Acme thread rod and matching nut from McMaster Carr. It rides on a thrust bearing and runs in a aluminum housing I made with a grease seal protecting the assembly.nut 2.jpgnut 1.jpg The cordless drill easily drives it up and down.

I gotta say, those pics don't tell the story.
Gotta see the whole mechanism, or IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Back