Motor whine on Grizzly G9249 lathe

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The 1 HP motor on my Grizzly 13X 40 lathe whines when running. The noise is not unbearable but I would sure like it a bit quieter Does anyone out there have a similar situation ?

The lathe is mounted on a sturdy wooden bench and leveled as best I could get it. The run-out over 16 inches is less than 0.001 if i recall properly. The sound has been isolated to the motor by disenging the lesd screws and back gears. I would sure appreciate suggestions on how to reduce the whine.

Thanks

Ray

Thanks guys for the in put. I will live with the noise Turbine doctor -- not much choice other than a new motor. And MMMH I didnot take the motor off the lathe but made sure the belts were loose using the back gear tension adjustment. no change in noise.

I recently aquired the lathe and am :)just now getting used to it's idiosyncracies. So far the only real complaint is the Half nut lever is very close to the power switch leaver - I shut it off several times during a threading operation, really have to watch what I do with the meat hooks.

Thanks for the input. I am going to get it checked if I can find someone to do it? I do have a multimeter and somewhat familiar with house current, but have not checked capacitors.

Thanks

Ray

Back