motor lube

rafe

Active User
Registered
The 6" atlas/craftsman That I picked up is powered by a 3/4 HP peerless motor. I took the cap off the side opposite the pulley and greased the ball bearings (They are caged HD) The other side is not as accessible however it does have a good sized set screw up top which I believe is for this purpose....Just pump some in? Anyway I believe I just answered my own question lol...This motor is incredible, pretty old 40's I'd guess and built for the 22nd century. Peerless is still in business too.

You sure it needs grease, and not oil? Not familiar with that motor......

If it's caged roller bearings and not bushings it needs a high temperature wheel bearing grease like red Mystik
If they are oilite bushings they need a straight weight 30wt non detergent oil.
Bushings need just a couple drops a month or so.
Bearings should be repacked every 3 years cause the old grease will harden and be rendered useless in that time.
Sewing machine oil is what I use because it is designed to be absorbed by bronze or oilite bushings
Keep in mind that almost every parts store carries starter bushings and can be used in a ton of applications and are cheap.

Geno
That presents another question in my mind ...They are definately caged ball bearings on the one side. BUT can I just assume that they are caged ball bearings on the pulley side ? Inspection is not as easy.....I am not real familiar in the construction of old electric motors or new ones for that matter ....although I dissasembled a burnt out modern motor and it had sealed bearings on both sides ...so it's most likely?? caged bearings on the pulley side too? I appreciate your experience on this one....thanks

Back