Motor control

chatter chatter cut cut

Registered
Registered
I have a 7x14 minilathe the motor control won't power the motor. a low hum is all. have searched the internet and have not found s replacement. the closest is one for a 500 watt motor mine is a 750 . and the price is over $200.:eek: any suggestions toward getting a more affordable replacement or repair. any suggestion would be appreciated.

Get a lathe that does not require weird motors / controls, your life will be simpler and more pleasurable.

Pete can fix you up for less than 200$ I'm sure
www.olduhfguy.com
If it is a brush-type motor you could source an aftermarket scr drive like KB electronics KBIC series or similar, they are very reliable

On the other hand if your motor is brushless the only options are repairing/replacing the drive or replacing the entire motor/drive system with something else, like a salvaged treadmill motor and controller

Last edited:
The design of the mini-lathe motor controllers is not robust. They will continue to fail. What I would recommend is to fix it once, and make your first project a housing and jackshaft for adapting an industry standard induction motor, either single or three phase, to drive the lathe. These arrangements have lasted for decades or more on lathes all over the world. Pay no attention to the fact that I have two lathes with bad drives on them. One of them has a misplaced countershaft and cracked insulation. A quick rewire and rearrangement and it is now working. The second has a bad starting capacitor. One tug starts it going; just don't let it hum for too long. Once I get to the electronics store, it will be self starting for a few bucks. Should be good for another 20 or more years.

after further testing the controller electronics is not the problem. the motor ran hot after some high speed running. the brush springs lost tension and good contact and some type of plastic winding insulation melted and slung off the armature . I think the motor is cooked.will test further to see if it has a shorted winding and maybe a new set of brushes will get it going again.

I was in the same boat with my 7x10 and used one of the controllers I posted on a stock motor until it let the smoke out. I upgraded that with a treadmill motor and jackshaft, it made a huge difference! You can't really use all the power but the slow speed torque makes it worth the effort.

I was in the same boat with my 7x10 and used one of the controllers I posted on a stock motor until it let the smoke out. I upgraded that with a treadmill motor and jackshaft, it made a huge difference! You can't really use all the power but the slow speed torque makes it worth the effort.
update, new brushes and the motor is back running smooth and quiet. put on a new belt while had it apart. and continued the milling of new tool holders. but not at full speed. im thinking not to make more when this one is done , its too heavy a task for this lathe.

Back