Morse Taper Mill In Milling Machine

all I can say I have a heck of a time getting the MT3 out of my drill press if I want to change the chuck.

After you check the taper with some hi spot blue, and have it all clean, rub the taper down with some chalk and reseat it (if the taper looks good). That may buy you some bite. If the arbor has a tang, you might consider machining it off and drill/tap for a drawbolt, perhaps undersize like 3/8 -24 and a stepped drawbolt just for this setup.

Good to check for the B&S taper. It's not the same as morse. Detailed specs are in Machinery's Handbook.

SAM_1612.JPG
(snip)
Am I understanding the OP correctly? The End Mill has an integral Morse Taper shank?
Yes, you do understand correctly. Morse taper shank, no drawbar thread end mills. I have two NOS Putnam ones. They do have tangs. I'll post a picture after a while...

Edit: Added pic. I understand these were fairly common back in the day. The only place I would consider using them is in the tailstock of the lathe, following a pilot hole. One is 7/8", the other is 1", both MT3.

Last edited:
I believe that those tools are known as spotfacers to flatten the area around a hole drilled in a casting so the nut has a flat surface to bear against. force is applied against the taper not sideways bill

Back