Morse taper cut - slide travel too short - need to match cut exactly

Thanks for the replies.

Will go and try again.

Am having difficulty understanding that less surface area could be better - attached is a sketch showing how I visualise this inside my head.

Whats wrong with the way I'm thinking here ? In my sketch one end of the taper never ever touches the socket

Bill

The taper in your drawing evidently had a step in it before the rebate was cut. I agree, in that case the rebate would make things worse. What if the taper was slightly convex, so that it bulged a bit in the middle? That seems like a more probable flaw as nothing can be truly, absolutely straight. It would then contact the socket only at the bulge and therefor wiggle. Cutting the rebate would give you two well-seperated areas of contact. If the taper was actually perfect or slightly concave the rebate would do no harm.

Thanks for the help gents - need to go and apply myself in the shed and have another go.

John Hasler - Yes - I can see that in some instances the rebate would fix a problem with a bulge in the taper. Your example of the bulge is one that I hadnt thought about, thankyou.

So depending upon the defect, a rebate can fix a problem or perhaps create one. My diagram is perhaps a worst case.

Anyway its all academic - I simply need to practice a bit and learn how to cut the whole taper smoothly.

And yes I know am just a newbie and lots to learn

Bill,

ps are you ex SECV?

Yes - have sent you a PM

Regards

Bill

I've cut several MT2 and MT3 tapers on my 7x10 horrible freight which has a very short travel on the compound. tale your time dialing in the angle on a known good taper, then chuck up your stock. Start with the small end and turn the taper as far as you can, then throw a little dykem on the finished portion. Move the carriage and cut the rest of the taper close. When you get ready to make the final passes sneak up on the cuts until you just scuff the dykem without cutting it. then just kiss the whole taper with a bit of crocus cloth to clean up the tool marks if any.

Once set up, make a couple extras as blanks for the next time you need one.

I've cut several MT2 and MT3 tapers on my 7x10 horrible freight which has a very short travel on the compound. tale your time dialing in the angle on a known good taper, then chuck up your stock. Start with the small end and turn the taper as far as you can, then throw a little dykem on the finished portion. Move the carriage and cut the rest of the taper close. When you get ready to make the final passes sneak up on the cuts until you just scuff the dykem without cutting it. then just kiss the whole taper with a bit of crocus cloth to clean up the tool marks if any.

Once set up, make a couple extras as blanks for the next time you need one.

YES !

Thats the magic tip I was looking for

Thankyou sharky

Back