Morse Reduction Adatpers/Sleeves?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I just got a couple of high-end live centers and some other tooling gifted to me but they're all MT2 shanked. My tailstock is an MT3. Since these are admittedly better centers than what I had before I got them I'm wondering about MT adapters/sleeves. Are they that good and would it be worth getting one or is it just worthless stacking? Thanks.

MT 2 tooling very common use them on my MT 3 tailstock. cheap enough to have several and just leave ADAPTER ON THE MOST FREQUENTLY USED.

I bought several MT2 to MT3 sleeves from Shars and they work fine for me. Just remember
to get a drift to allow you to separate them.

Yep, second what Rick and Frank said. I bought an MT 2-3 adapter to use with a bunch of MT drill bits from lIttle Machine Shops.com. Very happy with how they expand use of the tooling.

Most experts will say you loose a bit of precision with the sleeve. But I bet new sleeves vary less than a few extra tenths. Certainly more than adequate for most tailstock work, I think.

Glenn

3rds or 4ths on the comments above. Use 2MT - 3MT adapters with no issues on some 2MT drill bits and a bull nose center.

Bruce

I can vouch for MT5 to MT3 and MT5 to R8 adapter sleeves.

I have also heard & have been told to avoid using reducing sleeves whenever possible. But I use them on a couple of MT2 live centers that I have. I even use a MT3 extension in my tail stock sometimes. They work fine for me & my sleeves are not high quality USA made.

Back