Morse Collets In Spindle Vs Er Collet Chuck?

Cool. The China thing doesn't phase me but I can't find any reviews or discussion of any of their products...
I may as well check it out in person, I suppose.

Cool. The China thing doesn't phase me but I can't find any reviews or discussion of any of their products...
I may as well check it out in person, I suppose.

Some of the customers they listed are pretty high shelf - Rolls Royce, GM, etc so maybe they're serious tool makers. Do a review here when you get your chuck and let us know what you think.

Actually, I think this company is from Spain. The logo on the collet chuck is the same as this company called Horma:
http://www.horma.net/

I'm arranging things with the seller and will do a review if I grab this.

Yeah, I saw that site, too. Regardless, here's hoping it does all you need it to do, and a review would be awesome.

Years ago I got a couple of used Parlec CAT40/ER40 collet chucks and turned the flange and body into a #4 1/2 Morse taper adaptor for my Sharp 1236 lathe. I did also turn the back end similar to a C5 thread for a draw bar. I will only use the adaptor for light cutting when I don't have a draw-bar engaged to keep it in place. Chatter of any kind can cause the locking taper to fail. The drawbar makes the taper fail safe and allows you to torque the ER40 collets without slippage on the taper. Also, when you have a short part or parts, cut a short blank the same diameter as your workpiece and push it in far enough to support the rear portion of the collet while simultaneously gripping the short end for machining. Typical runout on my chuck/collets on a piece of barstock is less than .001 and I can't tell you if it is the part, the chuck, the collet, out of round material, or my machining job in creating the taper. Most of the time, runout is .0005 or less.

Good Luck!
Gary

Hi Stereo Joe, it sounds like you are going to need a variety of work holding devices. There is no one system that works in all situations.

I like the approach that Morsch provides to address gripping short items in ER collets.

I have long used 5C collets (one machine fitted with a Bison 5C chuck, the other being native 5C directly into the spindle). I hardly ever grip odd sizes. One time that I recall needing an odd size is that I ended up making a collet (being machined in place and key'd for orientation, it will be pretty well dead on). Of course you can buy all manner of soft collets, some with an over size nose section and cut them to whatever special shape you required - ie. washers or rings.

Another good options for odd sizes or special shapes is to employ soft jaws on a 3 jaw chuck (the accuracy will be very good and you can hold some very difficult to grip shapes).

I recently came into a set of ER40 and a set of ER32 collets. With the above praises of the ER system, seems I've found another project.
Adding MT collets? I can't imagine what they would hold that isn't better addressed by one of the other common arrangements.

Regards, David

Man, you guys are super helpful! I should spend more time on here...

I'm going to pick up this Horma collet set tomorrow. I also picked up one MT3 collet and some threaded rod. I'll do a little comparison of the runout. I'm thinking the ER-40 setup will be more convenient and plenty accurate for most of my stuff but if the MT3 in the spindle taper is better, I'll use that when I really need it.

Brino, drop me a line if you ever want to chat machining or need assistance from a local fellow machinist! I only know a little but I'm good at lifting heavy stuff... Strong like bull, smart like tractor...

Back