More Useful Stuff

Rangemaster1

Gunsmith
Registered
Of all the tools I have, one of my most useful is a roll of paper towels. Sure, I use a lot of rags, but the least expensive and safest cleaning rag is paper which easily tears, and won't drag my hand into a spinning chuck. It readily sucks up oil and swarf and can be easily recycled. I buy the cheapest towels I can find, and I buy in bulk, usually from Costco. I have them in three different locations in my shop, so I'm not running all over to get one. They last a long time and I don't need to mess with cost of washing dirty, greasy rags.

Another useful tool I've found is a rotary cutter used by our ladies for quilting and other fabric trimming. I use it to cut up old worn clothing for use as rags. Rotary cutters make cutting fabric a breeze. You can make great rags from any fabric in no time. I hope this is helpful for someone.

Happy machining.

Ron

I don't skimp on my paper towels! I use the best, Bounty! :D
Family uses them in the house. My wife learned early in marriage, no cheap paper towels allowed! Period!
When I get finished washing my hands and drying them with "Bounty" paper towels, I lay the paper towels flat and allow then to dry out. When I get a stack of them, 25-30 sheets, they go to the shop to be used for wipe rags. And when they get to the point where you don't want to wipe your hands with them, I wipe down the ways on the lathe or mill and other surfaces that collect oil, crud, etc., before going to the trash can.
I started doing this with the "blue" paper towels many years ago. They got too expensive, went to using Bounty paper towels since they are used in the house.:)

Family uses them in the house. My wife learned early in marriage, no cheap paper towels allowed! Period!
When I get finished washing my hands and drying them with "Bounty" paper towels, I lay the paper towels flat and allow then to dry out. When I get a stack of them, 25-30 sheets, they go to the shop to be used for wipe rags. And when they get to the point where you don't want to wipe your hands with them, I wipe down the ways on the lathe or mill and other surfaces that collect oil, crud, etc., before going to the trash can.
I started doing this with the "blue" paper towels many years ago. They got too expensive, went to using Bounty paper towels since they are used in the house.:)
I do similar with the Brawny paper towels. The slightly used ones end up in the shop for cleaning the lathe, mill, etc. In the shop, towels used for drying hands go into the machine cleaning stack. We heat with wood, so they spent towels with some machine oil, WD40, etc. make an excellent fire starter. Stray chips that ride along end up in the ash bin.

I have a mixed use shop, so to cover my equipment I use old Blue Jeans cut to give the best coverage. Sometime have to pin some together. Agree the rotary cutter from the wife is great for that.
I use whatever type of paper towel etc is available, But do not like the real cheep ones, They seem to fall apart real easy. They get used to wipe hands, Then used to clean the equipment, and once they get to where I do not want to touch them, They finally go out. Since I also do some wood, and various other projects It helps to have ones that do not leave any lint behind, thus often I have a bunch of the blue or white lint free shop towel on hand. They also get used again and again through out the shop until you do not want to touch them. Some of them work great to keep damped with light machine oil, first wipe them down to get all the old stuff off, then wipe with ones containing light machine oil. Handy way to keep everything coated to prevent rust and protect it.

I’m in agreement with rangemaster1. I also get the cheapest or at least make sure the paper towels do not have any threading in them. I want paper towels that tear easily. So, if that oh s*** happens, the paper towel hopefully will not drag me along with it. And the towels that just get soiled are saved, so if I get a spill or need to clean something wet, I reuse those towels…Good Luck, Dave.

And here I thought I was the only one who reused paper towels. I guess this goes to show that growing up with folks who lived through the depression instills a certain thriftiness.:) One of my favorite things is "rescuing" things that others throw away, especially when you see prices double every few years. We went to breakfast with my son & his wife yesterday and on the way out I saw about 20' of 1-1/2" copper pipe in the twenty yard city recycle roll off. I figured I could put it to much better use than they would in China turning it in to more crap we really don't deed, so into the back of the truck it went. I think the kids think my senility is showing.:big grin: Mike

What I didn't say in my original post was that my wife is the one who got me started using paper towels many years ago. She ONLY uses Bounty in her kitchen and around the house because they are easily reusable. One time she had a pile of used towels and I needed some wiping rags for some very greasy, nasty cleaning. After using them, it became obvious to me paper would be a better option than good rags going in the trash. Thanks go to a thrifty spouse. However, my kids think she's nuts.

Another roll paper towels addicted here :)

600 yards roll for 17 dollars. I don't know if it is cheap or expensive, but it is worth it since a roll last for many months and the paper is soft and cleans well. I buy two at a time.

26-672_xl_1.jpg

I have a mixed use shop, so to cover my equipment I use old Blue Jeans cut to give the best coverage. Sometime have to pin some together. Agree the rotary cutter from the wife is great for that.
I use whatever type of paper towel etc is available, But do not like the real cheep ones, They seem to fall apart real easy. They get used to wipe hands, Then used to clean the equipment, and once they get to where I do not want to touch them, They finally go out. Since I also do some wood, and various other projects It helps to have ones that do not leave any lint behind, thus often I have a bunch of the blue or white lint free shop towel on hand. They also get used again and again through out the shop until you do not want to touch them. Some of them work great to keep damped with light machine oil, first wipe them down to get all the old stuff off, then wipe with ones containing light machine oil. Handy way to keep everything coated to prevent rust and protect it.

I like all the use of paper towels but I keep telling the better half I am going to loose weight but never seems to happen so all my heavy sweat shirts for welding get cut up for rags and wipe lots what ever and good for a fire starter for our heating of the home 20 gotogojo

Back